-
Nvidia Installation
I can't believe that you have to recompile the kernel to install a NVIDIA graphics card.
This is a 32 meg plus download just to get the headers!
Sheesh.
I'm out in the sticks with a horribly decrepit land line which is frequently dug up to provide copper wire tourist tat.
It's about a couple of hundred mile round trip to get to the internet cafe so that I can cut a CD, which, when I run apt-get on it, is invariably lacking some dependency or other.
Looks like a better solution is to ditch my NVIDIA 128meg card (which cost a fortune when I bought it) and get something with less power but more mainstream.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Can't you at least get it working with a cheatcode? I know there are a couple out there that will set it to a basic and ubiquitous VGA output, so at least you're running.
jd
-
JD,
Thanks for the reply.
Getting the graphics card to work is not too much of a problem: I just used xf86conf (from memory) which set everything up.
The problem is that the card behaves as though it's mired in molassis, which is disappointing for a 128 Meg card!
What I want to know is: if the nvidia installer script downloads kernel patches and drivers from the nvidia website, why isn't it possible to download the said files and cut a cd.
Then one can take the cd to the knoppix machine and modify the installer script to fetch the files from the cd rather than the net?
Similar Threads
-
By Krogen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 22
Last Post: 08-19-2005, 08:16 PM
-
By CKLM in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-08-2004, 01:58 AM
-
By AP81 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-29-2004, 12:34 AM
-
By drpunkerz in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-01-2004, 03:09 PM
-
By Mr.Redhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.98