Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: KNOPPIX on hda1?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    KNOPPIX on hda1?

    SORRY - I posted this in general when it should have been under hdd install:

    Lately, I've only used dual-boot solutions with lilo in the mbr via knoppix-installer. Is there anything special about setting up a machine with just one partition only for KNOPPIX (instead of wimpdoze on hda1 and knoppix on hda2)?

    Imagine that, I'm about to enter the world of Linux without WIMxP or any over form of windoze on the same machine!

    BTW, do I even need lilo?

    OOO, scarry, isn't it.

    TIA,
    AJG

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    Re: KNOPPIX on hda1?

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    SORRY - I posted this in general when it should have been under hdd install:

    Lately, I've only used dual-boot solutions with lilo in the mbr via knoppix-installer. Is there anything special about setting up a machine with just one partition only for KNOPPIX (instead of wimpdoze on hda1 and knoppix on hda2)?

    Imagine that, I'm about to enter the world of Linux without WIMxP or any over form of windoze on the same machine!

    BTW, do I even need lilo?

    OOO, scarry, isn't it.

    TIA,
    AJG
    AJ,

    First thing, I have done the /dev/hda1 thing, twice - first time was with v3.3, and now with v3.4 - it is NICE not worrying about another OS (other than Knoppix) booting....

    Second thing - YES - YES - YES - You NEED LILO or GRUB, even if you don't have menu choices like two OS's - I made the mistake on v3.3 saying NO to LILO - the system didn't boot - You need at least ONE BOOT LOADER ( take my "learned" advice on this one )

    So... Ya going into Linux/Knoppix with BOTH FEET huh??? It is nice, I would never go back, even as a dual-boot...

    Good Luck, my friend,
    Ms. Cuddles

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Yup, the only reason I still do dual boot as the other users in the house or in my school still use the unnamed OS!

    Regards,
    AJG

Similar Threads

  1. installed knoppix hdb and win2k on hda1 is now unbootable
    By karpos in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-02-2005, 12:08 PM
  2. I installed knoppix hdb and now win2k on hda1 is unbootable
    By karpos in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2005, 05:51 PM
  3. Bootmanager for Win98 (hda1) Knoppix(hda8) WinXP(hda10)
    By hellfred in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 05:09 PM
  4. HDA1 won't mount
    By jimandjeanette in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 02:50 PM
  5. KNOPPIX on hda1
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 04:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$79.00



HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P picture

HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P

$319.99



13th Gen. Intel Core i3-13100T CPU SRMBT 2.5 GHz LGA-1700 Desktop Processor. picture

13th Gen. Intel Core i3-13100T CPU SRMBT 2.5 GHz LGA-1700 Desktop Processor.

$105.00



Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU picture

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU

$74.99



Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13  3.0 GHz  Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU

$80.00



Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz 6.4GT/s 12MB 6-core 1333MHz SLBVX processor picture

Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz 6.4GT/s 12MB 6-core 1333MHz SLBVX processor

$28.00



Intel Xeon Gold 5220R 2.2 GHz 24 Cores SRGZP Server Processor CPU picture

Intel Xeon Gold 5220R 2.2 GHz 24 Cores SRGZP Server Processor CPU

$48.00



(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT) picture

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)

$700.00



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99