Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Installing VMWare 3.2 Client in Knoppix Question -

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    19

    Installing VMWare 3.2 Client in Knoppix Question -

    I am trying to install VMware client in Knoppix (TAR file) ; however, I am getting a permission denied error. I am doing the install from the CD based. I am trying to learn the installation of my first program. And yes, I am running the install as root.

    (root@Knoppix:/mnt/hda1/Temp/VMware_Linux/VMware-workstation-3.2.0-2230/vmware-distrib#) cd /tmp
    (root@Knoppix:/tmp#) ./vmware-install.pl
    bash: ./vmware-install.pl: Permission denied

    I am thinking that because this is CD based that the install is failing because there is no real HD to install to. I just though it would run the install in RAM Disk. According to the doc, the application will install to various location on /USR directories. Isn't the /USR directory mounted for virtual install?

    If I try to run the RPM based install this is the error I get -

    </VMware-workstation-3.2.0-2230.i386.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
    error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
    error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
    RESULT=1

    Please clarify. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15

    Re: Installing VMWare 3.2 Client in Knoppix Question -

    Quote Originally Posted by lindleyrl
    I am trying to install VMware client in Knoppix (TAR file) ; however, I am getting a permission denied error. I am doing the install from the CD based. I am trying to learn the installation of my first program. And yes, I am running the install as root.

    (root@Knoppix:/mnt/hda1/Temp/VMware_Linux/VMware-workstation-3.2.0-2230/vmware-distrib#) cd /tmp
    (root@Knoppix:/tmp#) ./vmware-install.pl
    bash: ./vmware-install.pl: Permission denied

    I am thinking that because this is CD based that the install is failing because there is no real HD to install to. I just though it would run the install in RAM Disk. According to the doc, the application will install to various location on /USR directories. Isn't the /USR directory mounted for virtual install?

    If I try to run the RPM based install this is the error I get -

    </VMware-workstation-3.2.0-2230.i386.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
    error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
    error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
    RESULT=1

    Please clarify. Thanks.

    Your assumption seems logical to me. You have no place to put it especially if you are low on RAM. Your windows partitions are write protected by default.

Similar Threads

  1. VMWare: VMWare Tools can not be installed
    By Josh83 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 06:47 PM
  2. Installing Knoppix Thru VMWare
    By Fitzy in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 08:54 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 04:05 PM
  4. Knewbie 2 Knoppix - thin client question
    By loggy in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 07:05 PM
  5. Knoppix inside VMware as client
    By in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 04:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech picture

Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech

$747.99