-
How to see log messages?
I am trying to debug a not working connection over a modem. How can I see debug messages by using kppp or pon?
-
Re: How to see log messages?

Originally Posted by
LF
I am trying to debug a not working connection over a modem. How can I see debug messages by using kppp or pon?
You don't give enough information, so I have to make some assumptions:
Assumption #1: You are dialing into a Knoppix system.
Assumption #2: You are dialing from a Knoppix system.
Assumption #3: You are talking about log messages normally found in /var/log.
Here are some answers (given the above assumptions):
1. Check that syslogd is running on both systems. Try:
Code:
/etc/init.d/sysklogd start
2. Look for messages in the files in /var/log. When chasing down log messages, I like to do:
...which lists files in reverse date/time order - which means the most recent files are listed at the bottom. The most recent log files will have the most relevant data directly after your attempt to connect. Then use less or more to read the log files for data...
-
How to see log messages?
David Douthitt wrote:
> 1. Check that syslogd is running on both systems. Try:
> Code:
> /etc/init.d/sysklogd start
this was the command I missed. syslogd is not started by default in Knoppix.
Thanks.
Similar Threads
-
By DestroyerOfWorlds in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-22-2004, 10:33 AM
-
By dmitry in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-31-2004, 07:32 PM
-
By brian dorling in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-01-2004, 07:01 PM
-
By Xeogears13 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-03-2003, 02:27 AM
-
By schnarff in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-09-2003, 08:20 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Lot of 15 Non-Working Samsung Galaxy Tablets for Parts
$338.63

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

LOT OF 27-Mixed Lot of 8GB (27x8GB=216GB TOTAL) PC3L-12800R ECC REG Server RAM
$99.99

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99

Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2
$135.00

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)
$310.00