Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Nvidia kernel 2.6.6 crash - help

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    Nvidia kernel 2.6.6 crash - help

    Ok, Knoppix v3.4, kernel 2.6.6, NVidia GeForce 4 MX 440 rev a3...

    In an attempt to get my video working, I have brought down my system, and am now stuck in a text login screen - with reported errors from nvidia driver modules not being able initialize...

    My attempt was to get Kano's script for nvidia - having more choices than knowledge - downloaded the install-nvidia-debian.sh, install-nvidia-5336-debian.sh, and the install-nvidia-6106-debian.sh...

    Not sure which one I was "supposed" to run, I ran just the "install-nvidia-debian" -=- it ran fine, no errors, problems, and then rebooted...

    I got to a login ( text mode ), logged in as root, and tried startkde ( no good, it died ), tried startx ( it died too, got the nvidia errors ) -=- and now I am stuck in text mode - no internet - no video - no GUI...

    Help, I am desperate here - just got EVERYTHING installed, except a working ALSA - and just needed my nvidia working - and now I am dead...
    Waiting on-line for assistance,
    Ms. Cuddles

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Dunno what's up, but last time I put on nvidia I used the stuff oin the nvidia site: it worked a treat.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Well, I wish I could help you Cuddles. But I don't use 2.6, so I don't know what the difference is there. Also with 2.4, I always use one of the specific driver scripts...i.e. one of the ones with the driver number...I've never tried the "install-nvidia-debian" one. Ask Kano over on his forum about this...seems like he might could be of assistance.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by champagnemojo
    Well, I wish I could help you Cuddles. But I don't use 2.6, so I don't know what the difference is there. Also with 2.4, I always use one of the specific driver scripts...i.e. one of the ones with the driver number...I've never tried the "install-nvidia-debian" one. Ask Kano over on his forum about this...seems like he might could be of assistance.
    I tried that too, after being defeated with the "generic" install, I tried the "6106" one, but that one screamed about "kernel sources" - I haven't a clue what I am doing here -=- and it appears I don't have those, or what those are, or where they are, or which ones those are, etc...

    I don't know what to do here...

    Last things I can see on my boot text screen, have something to do with via_agp already being installed... and then the nvidia errors because it is already in use by this via_agp -=- my guess is -=- my motherboard video card is "getting in the way?" - I have never been able to disable this card within the BIOS, but Knoppix v3.3 lived with it "and" NVidia at the same time...

    Any help ???
    Ms. Cuddles

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    I registered, and posted over at Kano's site - not much help...

    Response on using his "install-kernel-source-vanilla" and then "install-nvidia-6106-debian" scripts and getting this same result was:

    Install Kanotix...
    Install Source-vanilla script...
    Install Nvidia-6106-debian script...

    No Knoppix support here...
    [ end of quote ]

    Here is a follow-up on problem ( after doing the above )
    Maybe someone HERE has a clue what to do next...

    Knoppix v3.4 ( kernel 2.6.6 ) hard drive installed
    Nvidia NV17 GeForce 4 MX 440 ( rev a3 ) -=- on AGP card slot.
    Via KT133 -=- on-motherboard AGP -=- I have no way of disabling this through the BIOS.
    View Sonic View Panel VA700 monitor - using VSC700 driver ( i think )

    Above worked perfectly with Kano's 5336 script, nothing has changed on system, other than the new install of Knoppix...

    I have a "noagp" in the "append=" line of LILO - worked in previous install, doesn't appear to be doing anything in v3.4 now...

    I have a "rmmod agppart" - i think its the right module name - it was used in v3.3 also - at the bottom of my /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh file - but I don't think its doing anything either...

    When I did the Kano's source and 6106 scripts... source script was fine, the 6106 script did report the following error:

    make[1]:
    ...
    ***** unable to determine the target kernel version *****

    and I think it died ??? errored out ?????

    My textual boot screen, shows the following, maybe this can be of help to someone, in helping to resolve... ( this is what my boot is currently doing now )

    ...
    ERROR: module agppart is in use by via_agp
    ...
    starting hotplug subsystem:
    ...
    ...via_agp: already loaded
    ...
    [ text login ]

    I can't get into KDE, it tries during boot, to go into graphics login screen, but then fails back to this textual login...

    I am seriously having fun here, and this being the LAST thing I needed to get installed and working since my Friday starting all of this "install from gutted system" v3.4 project...

    Any help, any one, please...
    Ms. Cuddles

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Due to the problems I am having with 2.6.6 and NVidia - system booting under a hard drive install...

    This topic has been "migrated" into the HDD Install Forum.

    Thank you,
    Ms. Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. Making NVIDIA kernel/GLX work automaticly. HOW?
    By your_breakfast in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 02:22 PM
  2. Where is kernel 2.6 source to compile Nvidia drivers?
    By pepe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 05:30 PM
  3. where's 'nvidia-kernel-common' disappeared to??????
    By MillTek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 12:45 PM
  4. kernel 2.6.5 Nvidia Drivers install problems
    By 3p0cHx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 11:21 PM
  5. How to make NVIDIA work? kernel-headers-2.4.20-xfs ?????
    By ool in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2003, 05:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



SK HYNIX 32GB 2RX4 PC4 2666V ECC SERVER RAM picture

SK HYNIX 32GB 2RX4 PC4 2666V ECC SERVER RAM

$199.00



LOT OF 4 SK Hynix 32GB DDR4-2133 PC4-2133P 2Rx4 Server RAM RDIMM picture

LOT OF 4 SK Hynix 32GB DDR4-2133 PC4-2133P 2Rx4 Server RAM RDIMM

$640.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



Lot of 8 SK Hynix 16GB DDR4 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RAO-10 ECC | HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF picture

Lot of 8 SK Hynix 16GB DDR4 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RAO-10 ECC | HMA42GR7MFR4N-TF

$450.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99