Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: rescue data w/k3b only one drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6

    rescue data w/k3b only one drive

    Knoppix and k3b do make burning data to CD/RW easy.

    But I need to get data off a bad Windows 2K hard disk. Machine has only
    a single CD/RW drive, and I can't install Knoppix to the HD.

    k3b would be perfect to burn the data, but it occupies the drive.

    I've looked at Damn Small Linux and Puppy, but they don't seem to have
    k3b.

    Any help will be much appreciated.

    --
    Wanda

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    You might consider a usb bootable distro, if your pc is cabable of booting from usb. There is something called Flonix that used to be downloadable but it appears they have gone commercial. Here's a link with other links.

    http://am.xs4all.nl/phpwiki/index.php/UsbMorphix

    The idea is that you get a usb stick, install a distro, then download and install k3b.

    HTH

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    11
    in the knoppix boot menu--> knoppix single
    at the root-->startxfce
    once xfce is loaded...open a terminal and type k3b
    k3b will load...
    once u have put ur files there.....clik on burn
    k3b will say reloading of media required and eject knoppix disc...load blank disc...
    and burning will start...

    i dunnno y...but this works for me

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    You can use the "toram" boot option to load Knoppix into ram and then eject and then burn. If you don't have a gig or so of ram I suggest doing this with Damn Small.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6
    Rusty,

    Unfortunately the user of the machine in question uses dialup AOL.

    Machine has only 192 mb RAM, and only about 1.5 gigabytes free
    in WinXP.

    Siddharth,

    I can't get your method to work at all. Everything goes fine until I
    tell it to burn, then it tells me to eject the Knoppix. When I do,
    everything freezes.

    Aay,

    The only Damn Small Linux I have doesn't have k3b on it. Maybe you
    can tell me where one is???

    I couldn't even try cdrecord because it would require writing an iso
    first, and I'm leery of doing that on the XP drive.

    I did get a (poor) solution. Puppy distribution has something called
    gcombust. It's a pain to set up. On about the 5th try I got it to work.

    I'd really like to find some way to use k3b since it's much easier.

    Any more ideas?

    TNx for all your help.

    Wanda

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Perhaps it would be easier to copy the data over a network. You should be able to boot the machine you are talking about from a Knoppix cd and then once you are up you can start the ssh server. Make sure the Windows drive is mounted and then open open Konquorer on another computer on the network and type the following: fish://user@ipaddress. You should be able to navigate to /mnt/hda1 (or whatver windows is) and copy the infomation to the other machine.

    Of course you can also do this with samba as well. The newer Knoppixes have a button in the Knoppix menu that will walk you through making your drives available to samba.

    BTW, the new damn smallhas the captive driver it should be fine to write to NTFS. You will need to go through the captive wizard and load the driver. Then you should be able to mount the drive and use mkisofs and cdrecord to burn the image.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Perhaps it would be easier to copy the data over a network. You should be able to boot the machine you are talking about from a Knoppix cd and then once you are up you can start the ssh server. [snip]
    Aay,

    I'd love to, but as I indicated the machine is a home user with AOL.

    Wanda

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I didn't necessairly mean over the internet. Do you have local access to the machine in question? Is it set possible to set up a local area network?

    What about the Captive option? I don't think Damn Small has Captive, but Feather Linux (based on Damn Small does). With feather you should be able to boot with toram, then mount the ntfs drive using Captive, then make your iso using mkisofs, then burn it with cdrecord.

    I used to have a usb cdwriter which came in handy in such situations, but you may not have one.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    You could resize your ntfs partition for the time being allowing for the creation of a 1GB linux partition and use the knoppix tohd=/dev/hda2 boot option, and then eject the cd.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    I didn't necessairly mean over the internet. Do you have local access to the machine in question? Is it set possible to set up a local area network?
    Aay,

    All this help is really great! Thanks to all.

    The machine is a friend's standalone home machine that got infested with
    too many viruses and spywares.

    I finally just installed an old hard drive as her 2nd drive and copied her
    data to it, then put that drive into my machine and scanned for viruses,
    etc., with f-prot, clamscan, and bitdefender. Next her Win drive gets
    formatted with Linux, then reinstalled with her XP, which she won't give up.

    Then I'll copy her data back to it.

    Did tell her she'd either have to switch to Linux or change her online
    habits--they weren't working!

    Still, I'd like to find a small bootable Linux that can load to ram and
    has k3b. Is it possible to add software to Damn Small and make your
    own version?

    Wanda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trying to pull data off my SATA drive to my IDE..
    By bluedevlx in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2005, 07:52 PM
  2. help getting data off of a hard drive...
    By thebyrd in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 10:18 AM
  3. Additional important tools for data rescue
    By kuser123 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 08:41 AM
  4. Retrieving Data from unbootable H/Drive
    By mizou in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 05:08 AM
  5. Data Rescue and General Use Documentation
    By cedricshock in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2003, 08:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



SK Hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz ECC UDIMM RAM PC4-3200AA KIT picture

SK Hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz ECC UDIMM RAM PC4-3200AA KIT

$150.00



Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2R1TI ECC REG Server Memory RAM picture

Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2R1TI ECC REG Server Memory RAM

$180.00



(LOT OF 18) Kingston 16GB PC3L-10600R DDR3L-1333 2rx4 RDIMM ECC Server RAM picture

(LOT OF 18) Kingston 16GB PC3L-10600R DDR3L-1333 2rx4 RDIMM ECC Server RAM

$180.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Samsung 64GB 2Rx4 PC5-4800B-RA0-1010-XT M321R8GA0BB0-CQKDS DDR5 EC8 RDIMM TH646 picture

Samsung 64GB 2Rx4 PC5-4800B-RA0-1010-XT M321R8GA0BB0-CQKDS DDR5 EC8 RDIMM TH646

$2049.98



SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM picture

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM

$499.99



Lot Of (22) 4GB DDR3 — ram memory picture

Lot Of (22) 4GB DDR3 — ram memory

$149.00



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



(LOT OF 18) Hynix 8GB PC3-10600R DDR3-1333 Shielded RDIMM ECC Server RAM Memory picture

(LOT OF 18) Hynix 8GB PC3-10600R DDR3-1333 Shielded RDIMM ECC Server RAM Memory

$144.00