Ok, so I've got it to boot from the HD with the cheat code:
"bootfrom=/dev/hda1/Knoppix/"
But its not detecting my memory correctly, so I'm off to investigate that now!![]()
I have an old laptop and want to play with Knoppix. Unfortunatly, the CD drive is broken on the machine.
So I've created a boot disk and copied the CD across on the the HD.
I put in the boot disk and restarted. Everything is fine boots as normal, but gets to the point where it would normally boot Knoppix from the CD, obviously it can't do this, so asks where knoppix is!
It boots me into a mini os of some description where I can mount certain drives.
So I presume I just mount my harddisk, then run knoppix from the disk? I'm not sure how and no matter what combination of "mount hda1" I type it keeps giving me "bad address" errors.
Is there anyway I can RUN knoppix off my harddrive?
Ok, so I've got it to boot from the HD with the cheat code:
"bootfrom=/dev/hda1/Knoppix/"
But its not detecting my memory correctly, so I'm off to investigate that now!![]()
There's a cheatcode for that too: mem=???M
Yeah, I found that... so my start line now reads:Originally Posted by Markus
knoppix mem=119M bootfrom=/dev/hda1/knoppix
and that starts to boot fine, then all of a sudden tells me I don't have enough memory to run, so boots me into X11 rather than KDE.
The error message is: "xmessage: Not enough memory to start kde! (Atleast 82MB required.)"
When my system starts up and does a memory count, it says I have 119MB of memory (so thats what I put in to the command prompt) the boot can't be using more than 30MB of memory can it?!
The full system spec is P800, (I thought I had 256MB of ram! But I guess not) 119M and its a laptop, if you didn't read that above
Any ideas on how I can get the laptop to boot into KDE?
119MB should be enough for X but you could also try with a lighter gui, like desktop=icewm
Try also booting with memtest while I suspect your memory could be bad. OTOH if you read through the cheat codes page you knew about this allready.
How about throwing in a DOS floppy and typing mem, or was it mem /h. A while since my dos days.
IceWM works fine... I can't work out why this isn't working... I'll try my other memory thing in the mean time, but if you lot have any idea of what I can do in the mean time, let me know![]()
If icewm works, keep it and forget about kde if you really don't need all the kde apps and candy.
OTOH if you upgrade often and want to iron out the bugs in kde...![]()
Personally I use kde, while in some strange way I don't seem to care about the occasional bug.
You might want to take a peek around the bios as some laptops have bios settings for how much memory is allocated to video, 8-16MB should be enough if you're not into games.
I like KDE thoughI'll try Gnome, see if that works any better
Thanks for your help so far!
M

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00
Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00
Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00
Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC
$115.00
Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99