-
Junior Member
registered user
WIRELESS PROBLEMS!!
Hey gang,
I have been spinning my wheels for the past 3 hours trying to get my wireless card working . I have beeps, lights, and recognition, but I dont know what file to add my SSID, Encryption key etc to. Could someone please post a snippet of their files.
Thanks in advance.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: WIRELESS PROBLEMS!!

Originally Posted by
WANDr
Hey gang,
I have been spinning my wheels for the past 3 hours trying to get my wireless card working . I have beeps, lights, and recognition, but I dont know what file to add my SSID, Encryption key etc to. Could someone please post a snippet of their files.
Thanks in advance.
Your first option is to run wlcardconfig.
Optionally you can enter your settings from the comand line like this:
iwconfig eth0 essid [your_essid] key [your_key]
If you want to save these settings they go in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: WIRELESS PROBLEMS!!
[/quote] Your first option is to run wlcardconfig.
Optionally you can enter your settings from the comand line like this:
iwconfig eth0 essid [your_essid] key [your_key]
If you want to save these settings they go in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts[/quote]
aay,
First off, thanks for responding to my post. I always make it a habit to search the forums for an answer to my question before posting. Surprisingly wireless is not a much talk about topic on this board.
Anyway, I did what you said but now I am at work so I have no way of seeing if the configuration worked. I will check as soon as I get home. You also stated "If you want to save these settings they go in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts". Does wlcardconfig save it there automatically? After running wlcardconfig, should I still need to make any changes to any of the files in /etc/pcmcia?
I don't want to jump on the whole I AM A NEWBIE bandwagon for sympathy. I am two months into Linux, and during that time I have installed and used Red Hat and Mandrake. Both were a pain in the arse to install on my Compaq Presario 900, and neither worked 100%.
Knoppix/Debian is the first distro that installed painlessly, and detected all my devices. And just think when I started two months ago I was told by the Linux community to stay away from Debian because it has a steep learning curve. Maybe so, but after I get my wireless and sound working I will have a fully functioning machine. Something I never had with the other distros!!!
Steve
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: WIRELESS PROBLEMS!!

Originally Posted by
WANDr
You also stated "If you want to save these settings they go in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts". Does wlcardconfig save it there automatically? After running wlcardconfig, should I still need to make any changes to any of the files in /etc/pcmcia?
Actually wlcardconfig will save your wirless settings in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts so you may just want to adjust your settings that way. BTW, wlcardconfig will ask for a lot of stuff. All you'll probably need to enter is your essid and your encryption key.

Originally Posted by
WANDr
I don't want to jump on the whole I AM A NEWBIE bandwagon for sympathy. I am two months into Linux, and during that time I have installed and used Red Hat and Mandrake. Both were a pain in the arse to install on my Compaq Presario 900, and neither worked 100%.
Knoppix/Debian is the first distro that installed painlessly, and detected all my devices. And just think when I started two months ago I was told by the Linux community to stay away from Debian because it has a steep learning curve. Maybe so, but after I get my wireless and sound working I will have a fully functioning machine. Something I never had with the other distros!!!
Steve
I too was told to stay away from Debian. I think the difficulty generally associated with Debian lies in the install. Once debian is installed it's a really easy to keep updated with apt. Since Knoppix makes the install pretty easy, much of the pain attributed to Debian is removed.
Let us know how the wireless issue goes.
Take care,
Adam
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: WIRELESS PROBLEMS!!

Originally Posted by
aay
Your first option is to run wlcardconfig.
Optionally you can enter your settings from the comand line like this:
iwconfig eth0 essid [your_essid] key [your_key]
If you want to save these settings they go in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts
aay, YOU DA MAN!!!! My wireless worked when I got home :P !!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Glad to see it all worked out ok.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Do I have to do anything special to get it going once I've run the information through wlcardconfig?
I have a Cisco Aironet 350 card. I run wlcardconfig and enter the essid "MyAir" and the key "2dcfe44aec" (64bit). Then exit out. It saves (at least temporarily) the changes to /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts but iwconfig doesn't show the card running. I then tried '/etc/pcmcia/network start wifi0' but it gives me an error and shows me the 'usage' info over and over:
root@ttyp0[pcmcia]# /etc/pcmcia/network start wifi0
usage: /etc/pcmcia/network [action] [device name]
actions: start check stop suspend resume
Rebooting of course replaces the wireless.opts with the default one off the CD (I'm still booting from CD), so that doesn't work either.
As all of the above failed, I tried:
iwconfig wifi0 essid MyAIR key 2dcfe44aec
This returns no errors, but iwconfig does not show the ESSID listed, nor does the card start (no lights on it are lit up). The card lights are on during boot and shutdown when modprobe checks the aircard.
I've tried the key with and without 0x as the data are hex.
Any ideas, pointers? This is a Compaq 2525US and has a built-in wireless controller, but I prefer the Cisco. Figured that would be easier to get up and running too...
J
Similar Threads
-
By tsugua in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-11-2005, 04:18 AM
-
By lozzy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-14-2004, 03:58 PM
-
By supercleanse in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-06-2004, 12:43 AM
-
By jonath8n in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-15-2004, 12:52 PM
-
By haYnguy in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-08-2004, 04:19 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lot of 4 SK Hynix 16GB (64GB) HMA82GR7AFR8N-UH PC4-2400T-RE1-11 Server ECC RAM
$289.99

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)
$36.99

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

Lenovo 2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Metal Drive Flash Memory Stick Data Storage.
$3.99

SK HYNIX - 32GB 2RX8 PC5 DDR5-5600B SODIMM - HMCG88AGBSA092N Used
$900.00

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

HYNIX HMA82GR7DJR8N - XN 3200AA 16GB 288 Pin RDIMM DDR4 Memory
$105.00

20pc Server RAM Lot 296GB DDR3 DDR4 ECC RDIMM 16GB 8GB PC3 PC4 Tested
$250.00

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$288.19