Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke
Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
...ruymbeke's version of GRUB evidently does not write to the hard drive during installation...
The standard grub installer copy or dd (disk dump) the stage1 and stage2 grub binaries into the boot sectors of the floppy, partition or disk which I don't really like when running a corporate xp/ntfs computer. These modified sectors are not seen as a file by the ntfs file system and cannot be simply
Gilles
1. I have used the batch file "install2win.bat" from the Japanese KNOPPIX CD-Rom, and it installed GRUB to my computer using "grubinstall.exe".
How can I remove the grub now? Is it just simply remove the folder "C:\boot"? In which command, the installer will write something to my boot sector?

2. Before installed the GRUB from Japanese KNOPPIX CD-Rom, I have installed (actually just as what you said - copied all files to C:\ and C:\boot). I can find stage1 and stage2 under the folder C:\boot? Did it also influe my boot sector?

3. Is it possible to use a image file located in a NTFS partition for "home" in the cheatcode? For example, "knoppix ..... home=/dev/hda1/KNOPPIX/home.img" (It assume /dev/hda1 is a NTFS partition in which the KNO*.ISO located)?