Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Hard drive install - issues

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    32

    Hard drive install - issues

    Hi.

    I have read as much as I can about installin Knoppix onto the hard drive, but I've yet to accomplish it.

    My hard drive has a NTFS partition that Windows is on, and I have a smaller partition that I want to install Knoppix onto, which is currently in FAT32. I would like to have a dual-boot system.

    How do I go about doing this? Do I first need to make the swap partition out of a slice of the FAT 32 partition I have? The partitioner in Knoppix does not seem to want to allow me to do that. Am I going to have trouble making my computer a dual-boot system?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    You'll need to shrink a partition to allow room for another partition that will be used as a swap partition. To do so open up a terminal and issue:

    sudo qtparted

    The usage of Qtparted seems fairly self explainatory but I'm not overly familiar w/ it myself.
    *NOTE* You do not have to have a swap partition but it is highly recommended if you have less than 512M system RAM.

    You do not mention the size of your partitions! I presume you'd simply shrink the FAT32 part to create a new swap partition then reformat the resized FAT32 w/ ext3 or other Linux file system.

    Details please........

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    32
    I have 768 MB of RAM, so should I not bother with the swap partition?

    What would I do with my FAT32 partition then to install Knoppix 3.4 and have a dual-boot system?

    My Windows NTFS partition is something like 25 gig and my FAT32 partition is 3 gig.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Ideal scenario:

    (Remember all partition sizes are approximate and certainly adjustable)
    Use qtparted to shrink the NTFS partition to 20G (or so)
    delete the FAT32 partition
    create 3 new partitions
    1 Linux partition of 5G <------necessary (minimum 3G)
    1 Linux swap of 256M <------optional (recommended you have 1G total RAM system/swap combined)
    1 FAT32 partition of 2.7G to share files between M$ & Linux <---optional (nice for win users)

    REBOOT!

    Workable solution:

    Don't change your partition table at all.
    Format the FAT32 partition w/ ext3 (or your choice of fs)
    mke2fs -j /dev/hda2 (for example)

    Launch the installer
    Choose your newly formatted Linux partition.
    Put lilo into mbr.

    REBOOT!

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    32
    Thank you very much mzilikazi!

    I made a 256MB swap out of the 3 empty gigs, and I installed Knoppix on the remaining. I'm giong to get a 60 gig drive soon, and then I will give a lot more space to knoppix.

    I do have a question. Is there a way to configure lilo so that WIndows is the default and after say 2-3 second it automatically boots into Windows? I would appreciate any advice on how to do that.

    Thanks so much.

    Best wishes!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Sure you can. Put windows as the first OS entery in the lilo configuration file /etc/lilo.conf and set a timeout. I'd give better instrucitons but it's been a long while since I used lilo.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    Sure you can. Put windows as the first OS entery in the lilo configuration file /etc/lilo.conf and set a timeout. I'd give better instrucitons but it's been a long while since I used lilo.
    Thanks. I figured it out. You were very helpful. Thanks again!

Similar Threads

  1. Hard Drive install
    By kamal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 07:39 AM
  2. Getting More Help With a Hard Drive Install
    By brianfay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 12:42 PM
  3. Kppp issues with CD vs. Hard Drive booting (3.3)
    By C. Alexander in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 02:38 AM
  4. Many Hard drive installation issues
    By DrWhom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 06:17 PM
  5. Hard drive Install
    By Gregwithoneg in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-22-2003, 01:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco Catalyst C9300-48U-E 48-Port UPOE Network Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst C9300-48U-E 48-Port UPOE Network Switch

$650.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points picture

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points

$30.00



nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply picture

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply

$200.00