Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Problems with USB drives and writing to /mnt

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    31

    Problems with USB drives and writing to /mnt

    I have COPIED (not installed) an earlier version of Knoppix to my hard drive and I run it with a 98 bootdisk which changes directories to the Knoppix folder and then runs .bat file: loadlin.exe vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 initrd=miniboot.gz lang=en knoppix myconfig=/mnt/hdb5

    Now this works very well and at the end of the session I can save my Knoppix config back to /hdb5. BUT I have had some difficulties in that I have two USB devices, a USB memory stick and an external USB hard drive. On boot up Knoppix "sees" them but when I navigate to them in /mnt they come up empty. If I make a shortcut on the desktop I can see and open the contents of the USB drives. However at the end of the session Knopppix will not save a configuration.

    I can make alterations to the fstab, and they are retained (I thought that this would help at boot up) but even though I write the corresponding directories to /mnt they are deleted on boot up AND Knoppix will not allow me to save my configuration.

    Are these problems occurring because I have copied rather than installed Knoppix to my drive?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Problems with USB drives and writing to /mnt

    Quote Originally Posted by Ewen
    Are these problems occurring because I have copied rather than installed Knoppix to my drive?
    Yes. If you boot from an image of Knoppix on your hard drive any changes you have made will revert back to what is on the cd when you reboot. Nothing will be saved. This is why you are needing to mount your drives each time by clicking the icons on your desktop. If you use the "df" command before clicking on the icons, you will see that your usb drives are not mounted (even though they will be listed in /etc/fstab). I you want things to stick you'll have to do an install on your hard drive.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    31
    Thank you aay... I thought that may be my problem... I guess I'll have to install instead but i'll buy the update first. I must say I like Knoppix.

    Regards...

Similar Threads

  1. writing to floppies, Fat partitions, and USB drives
    By algebraic in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-11-2005, 11:50 AM
  2. USB Harddisk - Problems on writing
    By Pollux in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-25-2004, 10:28 AM
  3. Writing problems
    By powadha in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-04-2004, 09:42 AM
  4. Problems in writing to USB memory stick
    By ze-trinchas in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 04:18 AM
  5. Problems in writing to USB memory stick
    By ze-trinchas in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 09:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00