Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: A few different Knoppix problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2

    A few different Knoppix problems

    I've been using Knoppix for a couple months now. I really like it over MS stuff; I have played with Linux a few years ago, but that was about it.

    I have just in the last couple days been experiencing some "issues". Maybe someone can point me in the right direction

    I'm running KNOPPIX-2004-05-10-EN, regular Linux Kernel 2.4. I boot via;
    EXPERT home=scan myconf=scan OR
    EXPERT home=/mnt/hdd1 myconf=scan

    I say "N" to all questions

    1/ Time is always wrong
    - I set my root pwd so that I could change this to EDT and reflect the correct time and Zone but everytime I restart Knoppix the time is wrong. I will set the time, save cofig to /MNT/HDD1 and restart & the time is wrong.

    2/ Sometimes when I install software, it disappears.
    - I've downloaded and installed Limewire for Linux. I have in the past run it sucessfully. Lately it seems to want to disappear - so that I have to reinstall it everytime I start Knoppix. This didn't happen beofre. I also get an odd message that Limewire can use the directory I selected (/mnt/hd1a/dl) - I've even checked the properties and made sure read only is unchecked. I know this is a Limewire question, but it seems to be related to access under Knoppix.

    3/ Sometimes I can't delete files. Sometimes I can.

    4/ Some of the mirrors are asking me for a password and username.
    ???

    One thing I did change was add a 2nd drive to my system for KNOPPIX to use, exclusively. It doesn't seem to report the correct amount of free space though (it had a bunch of stuff on it prior to me using if for KNOPPIX, but I figured the KNOPPIX format would remove all of it.

    I also added a swap (128Mb) file on my Windows FAT32 C:\ drive

    I don't see how either of these things should be affecting KNoppix, but they are things that are different than when I first started using Knoppix. No, I haven't tried just booting without home or myconf options at boot...I just might do that now.

    One other question re: Saving config...which I do regularly after changes. When you select files on the desktop, what does that do? I select that just to be sure I'm saving all settings.

    That should be a start, thanks for reading...

    Steve

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2

    Re: A few different Knoppix problems

    1/ Time is always wrong
    Using the newer version of 3.4 and the 2.6.6 Kernel seems to have this fixed.

    2/ Sometimes when I install software, it disappears.
    Well I didn't have to reinstall Limewire This TIme...

    Just thought I'd update...

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Problems since 3.8.2
    By Jimmmac in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 11:47 PM
  2. knoppix problems
    By benjamin1254 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2005, 04:01 AM
  3. Knoppix Problems or Hardware Problems
    By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
  4. Knoppix v3.3 problems
    By nappy501 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 04:30 PM
  5. knoppix cd problems
    By pbearseven in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell 6TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Dell 6TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise PowerEdge H

$75.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50