Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Midi problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26

    Midi problem

    Does someone know how to set up midi, I tried to set it up with a AD1985 onboard card
    but also with a AudioPCI128 , with or without alsa on boot it is not possible to play midi
    files, not with playmidi or xmms, I tried on a harddisk install and tried it with and without
    alsaconfig. I have sound and can use aplications like audacity but only when I don't activate
    soundsystem in the configurationcenter when I do that and start Audacity it returns with
    an host error can't initialise i/o layer no recording or playback options, same with Hydrogen.
    The system sound is working then, but the test midi button remains silence.
    I tried knoppix 3.3 and 3.4 and tried to set up alsa myself with kpackage but it refuses
    to do things mainly I guess because off alsa-base but it seems it can't be removed without errors.
    I tried to install applications like muse qsynth timidity xzynaddsubfx kmidi but none
    off these will work properly.
    I read almost all forums for a solution so because I can't find these I hope someone who
    is been able to set up midi or a proper working alsa will post his results or suggestions.
    The cards I tried AD1985 soundonboard and Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI seems to be supported
    ordening to the ALSA SOUND MATRIX, so my question is how can set this up?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    Wim, may be a long shot but are you sure you have a patchset? When you try for instance kmidi, it should give an error... what is happening when it doesn't work?

    I had no trouble setting up midi before alsa, with alsa it was a bit more of a pain but kmidi worked fine when I got all its dependencies including timidity and its patchset.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26
    I can't try kmidi because now I installed Knoppix 3.4 2.6.6 kernel , when trying to install it gives the warning:
    kmidi:
    Vereisten:kdelibs3 but is not going to be installed
    Vereisten:libarts(>=4:2.2.2-1) of
    libarts-alsa but it is not going to be installed

    So it seems kmidi is not even be possible to install in this version when I try to install
    kdelibs3 itself it wants to remove more than 40 packages but evenwhen try this I get the above message.
    So I installed kmid I get the warning:
    :~$ kmid
    KMid 2.0 Copyright (C) 1997,98,99,2000,01 Antonio Larrosa Jimenez. Malaga (Spai
    n)
    KMid comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details view file COPYING
    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
    under certain conditions
    kdecore (KIconLoader): WARNING: Icon directory /usr/share/icons/hicolor/ group
    16x16/stock/chart not valid. (etc etc)

    It starts anyway but when opening a .mid file it doesn't seem to do anything.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26
    Ah ofcourse here some information off some output:
    xxxxxx@box:~$ lsmod | grep midi
    snd_seq_midi_event 10624 1 snd_seq_oss
    snd_seq 54128 4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
    snd_rawmidi 23552 1 snd_ens1371
    snd_seq_device 10756 3 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
    snd 49540 11 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss ,snd_mixer_oss,snd_ens1371,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_dev ice,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_ac97_codec

    cat /dev/sequencer: Unknown device

    cat: /dev/sndstat: Unknown device

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26
    Ok, I guess this soundcard isn't really wearth to set up, I would be happy already if someone
    can tell for what soundcard I should look for so if anyone has good experience with a soundcard please tell me what kind off card it is.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111
    I got midi working with a midiman usb interface under 3.8 which has the complete alsa library installed (which wasnt the case with 3.4 at least).

    If you need more info, let me know, since I see this is an old post.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1

    Midi problem

    To get around the Midi problem you describe, I installed a Windows midi-wave player, Timidity++. This runs under
    the WINE, which is already installed as part of the Knoppix distribution. You can get Timidity++ from:

    http://timidity.s11.xrea.com/index.en.html

    This well-done sw converts Midi file data into wave data in real time. The wave data can be played in real time through your soundcard, or stored in a variety of formats. The sw has a number of nice features and works without problems. It uses Gravis Ultrasound-compatible patch files and/or SoundFont Banks to generate digital audio data from general MIDI files.

    Good luck!

    SoundMan

Similar Threads

  1. midi support
    By daviskacer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-23-2006, 04:09 PM
  2. Anyone has Midi problem like this?
    By yuu_shi in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 02:42 AM
  3. no /dev/midi using ALSA
    By dmitry in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 03:37 PM
  4. best liveCD for midi?
    By redss in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-26-2004, 08:20 PM
  5. How to Get Midi Working
    By aay in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-06-2003, 06:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW picture

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW

$94.99



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00