Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Installing programs on knoppix...

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124

    Installing programs on knoppix...

    Hello, I am new to knoppix and debian, can anybody tell me how the installation of programs works on knoppix... sorry debian?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    93
    For now, take a look at http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...tion=BackLinks

    You may also want to look at Kpackage from the System menu. Also, you can investigate apt-get and dpkg utilizing the search box atop this page. Other areas of interest would be synaptics and apt-spy. You may also want to familiarize yourself with /etc/sources.list.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    Ok, I have installed KLIK and also AMULE, just to try it. Now what I have to do if I want to open them? I am completely new to linux... w$ has icons on the desktop and "programs" from start. How does it work on debian?
    Thanks.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Are you running live-CD or HD install?

    What version and kernel of Knoppix?

    If HD install, Knoppix-style? Beginner's? Debian style?

    If older version, full install or poor man's?

    _________________________________

    If you are running live-CD, you need to set up a persistent home on a storage device (I use a partition of a hard drive - hdb5, in my case). If you don't, it will simply install to a ramdisk which will go away when you log off, and that's no good. Once you set up a persistent home, you can either install your apps there or Klik will do it for you. If you decide to make links to the wrappers and shell scripts on your desktop, you will also need to save your configuration on some storage drive, and click the appropriate box to save desktop icons (I use a USB thumbdrive to save the config - sda1, in my case). I have had mixed results if I put the config file in the persistent home, so I try to avoid that. So, in my case, I the following boot code: "knoppix26 home=/dev/hdb5 myconfig=/dev/sda1" Whatever storage devices you use, be sure to make them readable by right-clicking each drive icon -> properties -> 3rd tab (I think) -> uncheck read only -> OK. Oh, and the drill is that you boot knoppix, set up the persistent home, set up your environment (printer definitions, etc), save config, log off & restart, enter the cheatcode for PH and config, THEN install the apps to the PH. To set up PH and saved config, click the penguin icon on the toolbar -> Configure -> (see choices)


    If you are running an HD install, depending on type, I would recommend going to the Debian website www.debian.org and reading their documentation. Their site has a lot of it, and what I have seen was written very, very well.

    HTH

    jd

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    124
    I have hd install and begginer type installation.
    Thank You for the web site I will check it as soon as I can.
    Thanks

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8
    My experience with Knoppix and Linux is one week, mostly spent trying to keep the klik Realplayer install from going away after logouts.
    I'm using 3.4 with Kernel 2.4.26.
    I tried following j.drake's method above without success.
    Do I need to format the partition for the PH?

    Thanks

    bw

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8
    Forgot to say I'm running live CD.

    Thanks

    bw

Similar Threads

  1. installing programs into Knoppix
    By wdavis65 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 04:34 AM
  2. installing programs
    By newbie#7 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-29-2005, 06:22 AM
  3. Installing Programs on Knoppix Hard Drive Installation
    By HLS in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2005, 02:43 AM
  4. Help Installing Programs
    By Garibaldi in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 12:32 AM
  5. Installing Programs Help.
    By Prons in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 09:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99