ok. Now about my system. It's and old P3 500 MHz with two hard drives (hda & hdb) a DVD and a CDRW unit. I don't think it has USB 2, and i wasn't even sure it had USB at all until I checked :)

I thought i have posted it already but it doesn't hurt to insist. When i try to mount using vfat or auto filesystem, i get:

modprobe: can't locate module block-major-8
mount: /dev/sda1 isn't a valid device
(in fact it says : "/dev/sda1 no es un dispositivo válido", so it may differ slightly in english)

definitely i have usb-storage module loaded. I don't know for sure but i think i tried to mount /dev/sda1, sda2, sda3 ... and also sdb1, sdc1 sdd1... just in case , my PC has two USB slots and i didn't know how the system would name each one ^^


ok.. counting the minutes to go for my holiday week, so I won't post for a while. I know you'll be there when i get back looking for a little more of help. Thank you very much.