Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Where has everyone gone?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    17

    Where has everyone gone?

    Seems to me like the action has really slowed down here. Where has everyone gone? Is there another hot new distro? Or is it just summertime and everybody's waiting for the next Knoppix?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Well it's been quite busy here. I don't think the number of posts has slowed down at all. The last Knoppix release was the 5-17 version. I expect a new version should be released soon.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Me, has been around, more or less "lurking", since this past weekend ( the 4th. ) I was installing the new version of Knoppix ( v3.4 ) to my hard drive... ( mostly been trying to get it working, the 2.6.6 kernel is a "mite" bit different than what I had with v3.3

    Now all I need is the "little" details on configuration...
    Ms. Cuddles

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Ditto for me. I been busy trying to figure out how to install a pure Debian install from a knoppix cd/sarge netinstall cd. Did manage to get it installed but wiped it out cuz it wasn't as "perfect" as knoppix. I could have forged ahead and fixed the little configuration issues but since i've wasted nearly two weeks on this, I've broken down and went back to re-intstalling from the knoppix cd. Personally, I'm going to have to attack a pure debian install at some point in the future, but not right now. Anyhow, that's why I haven't been nearly as active recently as previous months.

    Durand

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    203

    pure(?) debian

    durand,
    I found kanotix to be the easiest pure deb install.

    Just like knoppix except it has the init scripts etc.

    its just got the 06 release with kernel 2.6 so why not try it.
    the first thing I do after an install is remove unstable sources but leave testing.

    If you need to update KDE then openoffice-de-en needed to be uninstalled first but havnt checked recently.

    other than that its as easy as knoppix to install but less livecd parts hanging over.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    80

    Re: Where has everyone gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by hardware_bum
    Seems to me like the action has really slowed down here. Where has everyone gone? Is there another hot new distro? Or is it just summertime and everybody's waiting for the next Knoppix?
    I've been wondering the same thing.. I now spend a lot of time at Gentoo - http://forums.gentoo.org/index.php - the page hit rates on distrowatch for Knoppix and Gentoo are similar, but forum activity is like night & day..

    mvh

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    35

    Re: Where has everyone gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by hardware_bum
    Seems to me like the action has really slowed down here. Where has everyone gone? Is there another hot new distro? Or is it just summertime and everybody's waiting for the next Knoppix?
    I suspect vacations, the holiday (in the US) and the general malaise that falls over people inthe summer time - all wishing we were outside laying in a hammock sipping mint julips

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    to be honest i sit on te lawn with my laptop surfing. sadly my trusted old friend compaq 5150 had some hdd failure (grinding metalic sound) im now bound to either sit here om my other box (wores and crt...) OR be outside. as summer here in northern Sweden is short i chose the outdoors.
    a new hdd is on its way so i am eagerly waiting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair

$88.75



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



Atari 1050 Floppy Disk Drive with Power Supply, MPN C061636 (Vintage) picture

Atari 1050 Floppy Disk Drive with Power Supply, MPN C061636 (Vintage)

$80.00



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2 picture

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2

$70.00



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS picture

Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS

$120.00