Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Need to put files somewhere

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3

    Need to put files somewhere

    I recently bought a new motherboard and processor and didn't really prepare for what I needed to do for the instalation. I have to reinstall windows, but I need to get some files off the hard drive. I can't use windows to move the files becuase it's not set up for the new hardware so I need to move files from that hard drive or burn them to a disk. I've never used knoppix, but i had a copy sitting around, so I was wondering if there was a burning utility on the standard knoppix installation. My other option is to move the files to my other hard drive, but for some reason I can't change the files on my HDDs at all. Anyone here know of a way I can save these files that won't take me for ever? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    k3b is a CD-burner application (its on newer versions of Knoppix)

    Linux does not write to NTFS filesystems. It can however, using captive-NTFS which is on the newest version of Knoppix. This is probably the trouble you are having. If the destination drive has a FAT32 partition, you should have no trouble copying files from one to the other.

    You can resize and repartition hard drives using qtparted, but I';d avoid that in favor of cd-burning or coping the files directly.

    Post specific error messages and perhaps we can tell you how to work around the problem.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Don't forget to make your disks writable (right click, properties, 3rd tab - I think- , uncheck "read only"). It's a common mistake, and given your lack of familiarity with Knoppix, I wanted to warn you ahead of time. OTOH, please don't be offended if you already knew that.

    jd

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the help you two I did have my drives as read only, but they are NTFS and I found K3b.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    You can still write to NTFS drives if you run Captive NTFS. The bad news is that the script in the menu has a bug that grinds my system to a halt on installation.

    There have been some recent posts about how to work around that, if you want to. Sure, it will take time, but you'll make some back in not having to swap disks, and save money on media. Your choice.

    jd

Similar Threads

  1. *.cmg files won't run!?!
    By jsp in forum Klik
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 07:38 PM
  2. what to do with .bin files?
    By jehan60188 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 11:57 AM
  3. what to do with.tar.bz2 files?!
    By jehan60188 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 10:08 PM
  4. rar files
    By wrangler in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 05:14 AM
  5. looking at files
    By stickycricket88 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 01:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00