-
Need to put files somewhere
I recently bought a new motherboard and processor and didn't really prepare for what I needed to do for the instalation. I have to reinstall windows, but I need to get some files off the hard drive. I can't use windows to move the files becuase it's not set up for the new hardware so I need to move files from that hard drive or burn them to a disk. I've never used knoppix, but i had a copy sitting around, so I was wondering if there was a burning utility on the standard knoppix installation. My other option is to move the files to my other hard drive, but for some reason I can't change the files on my HDDs at all. Anyone here know of a way I can save these files that won't take me for ever? Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
k3b is a CD-burner application (its on newer versions of Knoppix)
Linux does not write to NTFS filesystems. It can however, using captive-NTFS which is on the newest version of Knoppix. This is probably the trouble you are having. If the destination drive has a FAT32 partition, you should have no trouble copying files from one to the other.
You can resize and repartition hard drives using qtparted, but I';d avoid that in favor of cd-burning or coping the files directly.
Post specific error messages and perhaps we can tell you how to work around the problem.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Don't forget to make your disks writable (right click, properties, 3rd tab - I think- , uncheck "read only"). It's a common mistake, and given your lack of familiarity with Knoppix, I wanted to warn you ahead of time. OTOH, please don't be offended if you already knew that.
jd
-
Thanks for the help you two I did have my drives as read only, but they are NTFS and I found K3b.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can still write to NTFS drives if you run Captive NTFS. The bad news is that the script in the menu has a bug that grinds my system to a halt on installation.
There have been some recent posts about how to work around that, if you want to. Sure, it will take time, but you'll make some back in not having to swap disks, and save money on media. Your choice.
jd
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 14
Last Post: 02-22-2005, 07:38 PM
-
By jehan60188 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-23-2005, 11:57 AM
-
By jehan60188 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-11-2005, 10:08 PM
-
By wrangler in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-13-2004, 05:14 AM
-
By stickycricket88 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-27-2004, 01:41 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 400800 PAL CPU6502C Sally PCB with PAL ANTIC GTIA G3D
$70.00

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800
$59.99

Atari 520ST Vintage Home Computer Keyboard Unit
$199.97

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair
$323.75