Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Why is apache running + is there a fast debain distro?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    10

    Why is apache running + is there a fast debain distro?

    I have Knoppix 3.4 on the HD and I apt-get upgrade often.

    When I shut down the text that scrolls by says something about shutting down apache. apache

    1. this isnt normal, is it?
    2. how do i check to see if apache is really running?
    3. is this a sign that i might have been cracked? /standard paranoia
    4. if this is just a stupid default, who do i blame, knoppix or debian?

    Even if this isn't a security issue, its defiantly a bloat issue. I'm fighting to get my system reasonably responsive on my not-that-old hardware. I figure if apache is starting when it boots then who knows what else is starting up.

    What is the fastest debian based distro suitable for desktop use? I want anything with trivially easy package installation and vector-linux caliber speed.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Hmmm sounds like you opened an email attatchment and got a trojan that is spreading itself like wildfire across the internet. Fortunately this isn't wimpdoze and that's not at all what's happening. This is a relatively minor thing. Perhaps you started apache while on cd and your settings were saved to hdd install? I dunno.

    Is it running?

    ps aux|grep apache

    Want it to stop launching on boot?

    update-rc.d -f apache remove

    Note that this does not remove apache but rather the symlinks to apache from the run levels.

    What's faster about vector? Is it really the distro or more likely your desktop environment.

    Fire up synaptic and search for xfce4 & all of its plugins and such. It's fast and last time I saw Vector (while ago) it used xfce.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    AFAIK all services on the hd will get added to the runlevels as the packages are upgraded, so you should check while upgrading the text scrolling by. Don't know if you can do it with synaptic, never used it. So it's not a bug, it's a debian feature.
    Remove them with: apt-get --purge remove packagename, and do doublecheck before removing anything you might need.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    AFAIK all services on the hd will get added to the runlevels as the packages are upgraded.
    Hmm. Is this true? It's quite interesting if it is and kind of a pain.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Well, I said AFAIK and I'm definitely not an expert in this area either
    I've just noticed this happening when I do and apt-get upgrade, and no, I don't like much either.
    Hopefully someone who knows for sure will shed some light on this. I've just solved it by purging the services/servers I don't need.
    EDIT: Thought I saw it somewhere http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/se...3.en.html#s3.6 under 3.6.1 Disabling daemon services

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    79
    Another quick way to find out what services are running (or available) - and also start/stop them too is:

    apt-get install rcconf

    Runs in a terminal, konsole etc

    Package Description:
    This tool configures system services in connection with system runlevels. It turns on/off services using the scripts in /etc/init.d/. Rcconf works with System-V style runlevel configuration. It is a TUI frontend to the update-rc.d command.

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie.. ok got Apache running now.. next question PHP how2
    By westcparts in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 05:23 AM
  2. [DISTRO] New distro Knoppix-Gentoo based (Gulp!)
    By silian87 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:46 AM
  3. New Knoppix Site Link: Url for Debain Newbie Docs
    By beforewisdom in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-22-2003, 01:07 PM
  4. Running progrtams at startup like apache. postrgresql server
    By softgun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-28-2003, 05:17 AM
  5. What Debain is Knoppix 3.11 based on?
    By beforewisdom in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 01:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.27



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$246.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$7.99



Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick

$165.90



TESLA OEM Model S,3,X,Y USB Flash Drive for Dashcam 128GB READ DESCRIPTION BELOW picture

TESLA OEM Model S,3,X,Y USB Flash Drive for Dashcam 128GB READ DESCRIPTION BELOW

$22.00