Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Grub problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7

    Grub problem

    I installed successfully Knoppix on harddisk with Lilo booting.

    But then when I try to install Grub, there are problems:
    Code:
    knoppix:~$ grub-install /dev/hda
    Could not find device for /boot: Not found or not a block device.
    I look at the script /sbin/grub-install and it seems that it is due to 'df'. I already did a "ln -sf /proc/mounts /etc/mtab" and df's output is:
    Code:
    Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
    rootfs                 5067968   2056284   2754244  43% /
    /dev/root              5067968   2056284   2754244  43% /
    Still it doesn't work

    Any idea?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Aachen, Europe
    Posts
    85
    Salve kendrew!

    "]I installed successfully Knoppix on harddisk with Lilo booting.

    But then when I try to install Grub, there are problems:
    Code:
    knoppix:~$ grub-install /dev/hda
    Could not find device for /boot: Not found or not a block device.
    My idea is that grub-install will maybe write to /boot. Do you have
    a writable /boot directory?
    I haven't used knx-hdinstall or grub yet, so sorry to haven't more
    ideas than this link http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/#documentation
    wich I will use to learn grub.
    Greetings,
    rob

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7
    thx rob

    I figured out the problem: shouldn't use grub-install, just use grub instead.
    grub-install tries to detect the harddisk, partition, but doesn't do it well.


    rgds,
    kendrew

Similar Threads

  1. Dual boot problem winxp/knoppix (GRUB)
    By hukdonfonix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 06:39 PM
  2. Booting Knoppix from hdd using grub problem
    By kofti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 03:29 PM
  3. How to use Grub
    By Neil Young & Crazy Ho in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 07:05 AM
  4. GRUB ... then nothing
    By dantay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 02:06 PM
  5. Getting rid of Grub
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-10-2003, 04:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98