-
Senior Member
registered user
installing JAVA for a newbie.
I am trying to install JAVA into my HD but I am having problem. I have tryed to follow the instructions at the java web site but without any results.
Thank You.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Go here:
https://sdlcweb1a.sun.com/ECom/EComA...43ef554bfba8eb
Scroll down
Get this:
self-extracting file (j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin, 13.72 MB)
Save it to your home directory.
chmod +x j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin
./j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin
Hit <enter> to get to the bottom of the agreement.
Type 'yes'
voila!
Here are the official directions from SUN:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/install-linux.html
-
Senior Member
registered user
I don't know why, but the web page You gave me was sending me somewhere else, so I found "j2sdk-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin". Downloaded and installed with Your tips it seems to work fine... no errors on the installation! What is the difference between the "j2sdk" and the "j2rd"?
Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I never heared from j2rd, only j(2)re.
The second is the java-runtime-environment, to run java-programs.
The first is the java-software-development-kit, to develop java-programs.
If you have the sdk, a jre is included already.
Adding JAVA_HOME to your user-environments in /etc/profile is recommendet if you develop java-programs, i.e:
export JAVA_HOME=/opt/j2sdk
-
Senior Member
registered user
i am sorry "RE" not "RD"! I will try that as soon as I can. Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
"export JAVA_HOME=/opt/j2sdk"
Do I have to run this from root or command?
Nothing has happened form root.
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
xaviers2002
I don't know why, but the web page You gave me was sending me somewhere else, so I found "j2sdk-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin". Downloaded and installed with Your tips it seems to work fine... no errors on the installation! What is the difference between the "j2sdk" and the "j2rd"?
Thanks.
gah silly SUN makes it hard to link to their downloads. Commercialism at its finest I tell you!
you DO need j2re!
Try this link:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
Scroll down to where you see this:
Download J2SE JRE
When you click that link you will be taken to a licensing agreement. Hit "accept" and "continue".
Download this:
self-extracting file (j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin, 13.72 MB)
-
Senior Member
registered user
ok done!!! thanks
Is there a common way of installing programs on debian or every program is different?
Thank You again.
Also what is the difference between the begginer installation and the debian like...?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
xaviers2002
ok done!!! thanks
Is there a common way of installing programs on debian or every program is different?
Java is a proprietary software from SUN. It is not OSS (Open Source Software) like Debian GNU Linux. Debian uses dpkg to install packages. The easiest way to use dpkg is apt-get which is a frontend for dpkg. *most* packages are already in Debian and only require a simple command:
apt-get install cdcd
for example. If an application does not exist in the Debian archives you may search here: http://www.apt-get.org/ and perhaps someone has made unofficial packages for Debian. Otherwise you would use source code to compile and install software.
Also what is the difference between the begginer installation and the debian like...?
As I understand it the beginner is most like booting from cd. I think there are several forum postings on that topic already. "Debian like" would be a not so standard Debian installation (but still Debian none the less). Debian is notoriously difficult to install for a beginner. Even the current installer is quite unattractive and yet I have to say that IMHO installing Debian w/ either boot flopies or a small cd image is the best. You simply install the base system and build it from there. As you use Debian more you will come to understand its ways.
-
Senior Member
registered user
If I got it right the "normal" way to install a progrtam on Debian is: open a root shell, type "dpkg apt-get install" followed by the name of the of the program that was downloaded. Correct?
Thanks
Similar Threads
-
By ThE_R_o_B in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-18-2005, 04:22 AM
-
By nlight40 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 09:21 AM
-
By xaviers2002 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-23-2004, 02:53 AM
-
By sjlinux in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 02-24-2004, 11:59 AM
-
By celtic_kiwi in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-18-2003, 11:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$288.00

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00