I am trying to install JAVA into my HD but I am having problem. I have tryed to follow the instructions at the java web site but without any results.
Thank You.
I am trying to install JAVA into my HD but I am having problem. I have tryed to follow the instructions at the java web site but without any results.
Thank You.
Go here:
https://sdlcweb1a.sun.com/ECom/EComA...43ef554bfba8eb
Scroll down
Get this:
self-extracting file (j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin, 13.72 MB)
Save it to your home directory.
chmod +x j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin
./j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin
Hit <enter> to get to the bottom of the agreement.
Type 'yes'
voila!
Here are the official directions from SUN:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/install-linux.html
I don't know why, but the web page You gave me was sending me somewhere else, so I found "j2sdk-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin". Downloaded and installed with Your tips it seems to work fine... no errors on the installation! What is the difference between the "j2sdk" and the "j2rd"?
Thanks.
I never heared from j2rd, only j(2)re.
The second is the java-runtime-environment, to run java-programs.
The first is the java-software-development-kit, to develop java-programs.
If you have the sdk, a jre is included already.
Adding JAVA_HOME to your user-environments in /etc/profile is recommendet if you develop java-programs, i.e:
export JAVA_HOME=/opt/j2sdk
i am sorry "RE" not "RD"! I will try that as soon as I can. Thanks![]()
"export JAVA_HOME=/opt/j2sdk"
Do I have to run this from root or command?
Nothing has happened form root.
Thanks
gah silly SUN makes it hard to link to their downloads. Commercialism at its finest I tell you!Originally Posted by xaviers2002
you DO need j2re!
Try this link:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
Scroll down to where you see this:
Download J2SE JRE
When you click that link you will be taken to a licensing agreement. Hit "accept" and "continue".
Download this:
self-extracting file (j2re-1_4_2_05-linux-i586.bin, 13.72 MB)
ok done!!! thanks
Is there a common way of installing programs on debian or every program is different?
Thank You again.
Also what is the difference between the begginer installation and the debian like...?
Java is a proprietary software from SUN. It is not OSS (Open Source Software) like Debian GNU Linux. Debian uses dpkg to install packages. The easiest way to use dpkg is apt-get which is a frontend for dpkg. *most* packages are already in Debian and only require a simple command:Originally Posted by xaviers2002
apt-get install cdcd
for example. If an application does not exist in the Debian archives you may search here: http://www.apt-get.org/ and perhaps someone has made unofficial packages for Debian. Otherwise you would use source code to compile and install software.
As I understand it the beginner is most like booting from cd. I think there are several forum postings on that topic already. "Debian like" would be a not so standard Debian installation (but still Debian none the less). Debian is notoriously difficult to install for a beginner. Even the current installer is quite unattractive and yet I have to say that IMHO installing Debian w/ either boot flopies or a small cd image is the best. You simply install the base system and build it from there. As you use Debian more you will come to understand its ways.Also what is the difference between the begginer installation and the debian like...?![]()
If I got it right the "normal" way to install a progrtam on Debian is: open a root shell, type "dpkg apt-get install" followed by the name of the of the program that was downloaded. Correct?
Thanks

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS
$65.00
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module
$29.25
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
50x RAM Box Tray DDR2 DDR3 DDR4 DDR5 ESD DIMM Memory Shipping Storage Transport
$9.99
G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-4133 PC4-33000 XMP DIMM
$65.99
DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$30.00
Ballistix Sport Red 16GB (2x8GB) BLS8G4D240FSE DDR4-2400
$65.00
6x Kingston KSM24SES8/8ME 8GB ECC + 3x DDR4 SO-DIMM RAM Lot
$222.00