Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Help with install... grub.

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12
    ok all i did. was install with knx2hd and follow instructions, debian-like, lilo in MBR etc. created boot floppy and then rebooted, i didnt change any settings, open any programs. just rebooted and i have this grub command line like thing.

    I formatted the drive last night again into ext3 and have a 1gig linux-swap partition, reformatted both and re-installed with the same settings as above. i will try to post my lilo.conf file but i am running it on another computer and it doesnt have internet access yet, so i will need to save a copy to a floppy and bring it out here. ill see what i can do.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by xlr8r
    ok all i did. was install with knx2hd and follow instructions, debian-like, lilo in MBR etc. created boot floppy and then rebooted, i didnt change any settings, open any programs. just rebooted and i have this grub command line like thing.

    I formatted the drive last night again into ext3 and have a 1gig linux-swap partition, reformatted both and re-installed with the same settings as above. i will try to post my lilo.conf file but i am running it on another computer and it doesnt have internet access yet, so i will need to save a copy to a floppy and bring it out here. ill see what i can do.
    So it's even happened on multiple installs now eh? It surely can't be grub...but I don't know why it looks like that. Hopefully one of the more expert forumites can help you. I'll bump your message up anyways.

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12
    Thanks very much champagnemojo. yes multiple installs 3 to be exact. i just installed it on this computer, multi-booting winME and i get lilo to come up fine. but on the other one. i just keep getting this grub thing.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3
    I'm having the exact same problem as xlr, and I can't use "kernal (hdX,Y)/vmlinux root=/dev/hdaZ rw vga=791"

    I have tried every possible combination of X, Y, and Z... and it won't give me access to liloconfig when running the livecd, and the bootdisk i made with installation boots me up to a blank screen, with 1 blinking cursor, which doesn't respond to anything.

    Please help... :^(

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Lilo and Grub cannot coexist in a same mbr. You need to remove Grub and lilo first.
    You need to rebuild your master boot record.
    I don't know if fdisk /mbr will work since whole hardisk partition was created by linux.
    You can try if you willing to take the risk.
    My advice (from experience) is don't use Grub if you have NT based OS on your partition. You might end up with missread
    partition.

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3
    I Only have linux on my hdd right now, along with multiple fat32.

    How do I uninstall grub? Also, been trying to config lilo, and I seem to have gotten everything except the "image=****/vmlinuz" line. I found the location, varified it's there, and then put in /dev/hda4/boot/vmlinuz, and when I run lilo the error is "Fatak: open /dev/hda4/boot/vmlinuz: Not a directory" Isn't it a file not a directory anyway?

    Also, I cannot make a bootdisk, i searched my knoppix cd, there is no boot.img on it, and I can't make a lilo bootdisk since I can't get lilo to configure.

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by compshrink
    when I run lilo the error is "Fatak: open /dev/hda4/boot/vmlinuz: Not a directory" Isn't it a file not a directory anyway?
    That path has to be wrong; you certainly cannot see a kernel image when issuing 'ls -al /dev/hda4/boot/vmlinuz'. Assuming linux is installed on the /dev/hda4 partition it's probably mounted as / (or /boot if you have a separate boot partition), . The image path, then would look something like /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs. There are possibly symbolic links to that under both / and /boot, but I'd advise being explicit in your lilo.conf, so when you start having several possible kernel revisions to boot from, things stay clear.

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3
    Hmm, I am having the exact same problem as xlr as well. I thought that lilo would be the bootloader from everything I read, but now I've got grub.

    I remember something like installing lilo in the MBR last night when I was working through this install, but I was tired and didn't take notes... Not a good idea when learning a new OS.

    UPDATE: Having a slightly better idea than when I started about what LILO should look like and how it works, I can describe a problem:

    1) It says it is "unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system" when I run liloconfig (as root).

    2) It looks like it is getting a fatal error after trying to map a RAM disk:

    Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img -> initrd.img-2.4.26
    Fatal: Empty map section

    ERROR: correct /etc/lilo.conf manually and rerun /sbin/lilo


    --I remember seeing this stuff last night, but just hoping it would work anyway, which might be why I got grub instead.

    I understand that I need to open up my lilo.conf file and fix something, but... What?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. How to install GRUB?
    By morgan73 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 11:51 PM
  2. Hdd-install and grub boot??
    By Ish Rattan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-25-2004, 10:31 PM
  3. Can Knoppix be used to install grub in the MBR
    By cykick in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 06:20 PM
  4. how do i install grub?
    By djmihow in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 07:44 AM
  5. LILO: Get rid of it to install GRUB
    By arthur in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 05:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



HP Samsung PM871b 2.5 SATA SSD 256GB Solid state drive picture

HP Samsung PM871b 2.5 SATA SSD 256GB Solid state drive

$29.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99