Quote Originally Posted by xlr8r
I turn on my computer and i get a black screen with GRUB with text like 'BASH like command editor is supported.' and then stuff about using TAB key for commands. then GRUB> prompting me to type commands.
That means you have a bash like prompt where you can type boot options. You should type the commands you need to boot your new installed Linux, eg.
Code:
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.24-xfs root=/dev/hda1  rw vga=791
I don't know you parameters - so change those according to your system. I,m not sure if Knoppix makes a symlink to kernel, so you could type something like this:
Code:
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1  rw vga=791
But if you are new to Linux, perhaps it would be better to use the default boot loader, Lilo. As far as I remember, there was no possibility to choose Grub instead of Lilo during hdd-install. So I think you have installed it afterwards ('apt-get install grub' ?).

If you get your Linux to boot, I suggest to run 'liloconfig' as a superuser (su) and check /etc/lilo.conf. If you change anything don't forget to run 'lilo' which updates your changes.

Did you make lilo boot diskette? You can do it afterwards by
Code:
lilo -b /dev/fd0
...so you can boot your Linux if something goes wrong with liloconfig. Run 'lilo' after making boot diskette.

Notice that you have two possiblities to boot from Lilo. First: you get boot menu (default system boots after 7 seconds):
Code:
propmt
timeout="70"
Second. You don't get boot menu (default system boots after 2 seconds) if Shift is no pressed during Lilo text.
Code:
delay=20
You can change those times anything you want. Hope this helps.