Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: hda1 full - how come? Help!

  1. #1

    hda1 full - how come? Help!

    Last year August, I installed Knoppix on my HDD. Great! Disk size is 2.8 GB, and was about 70% full (if I remember it correctly).

    All this time, I used it as a local web server with the webroot on the hda6 partition. I put my php files on this partition. Free space: 6GB on an 8 GB hdd.

    It was great, until hda1 went full this week! Less than a few K free space! Of course, sessions can't be written anymore, etc. How could this happen? I installed nothing after the initial install! BTW, the tmp dir is quite tidy.

    My question is: what kind of files could have been written on the hdd? And how do I clean up the disk, 'cause I cannot detect anything strange on the hdd. PROC is large as well, how do I purge this? And how can I prevent this for the future?

    TIA,
    Royston

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Is /var/log taking up alot of space?

    du -ch /var/log

    You can get rid of alot of files in there. For example you probably do not need any logs that end w/ 0 or .gz.

    For example I have these logs:
    kern.log
    kern.log.0
    kern.log.1.gz

    It would be perfectly fine to remove kern.log.0 & kern.log.1.gz

  3. #3
    Well, this took care of 3 MB of space... at least that is better than nothing. However, I have still 1 GB or so to go...

    Thanx anyway for your answer. But where did the other gigabyte of rubbish come from? And, for instance, how do I delete the /proc/ directory?

    Royston

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Not sure if I was clear on this or not. You can delete ALL old logs in /var/log.

    /proc is a dynamicly generated file system don't try to delete it. Use cron to automatically delete those old logs for you.

Similar Threads

  1. Cant create folders on hda1
    By PhilQ in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2005, 12:43 AM
  2. Can't Mount hda1 from my network
    By Skaster in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 09:04 PM
  3. HDA1 won't mount
    By jimandjeanette in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 02:50 PM
  4. KNOPPIX on hda1
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 04:29 AM
  5. KNOPPIX on hda1?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 04:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage 90s PC Lot of 3.5 Floppy Disks Home Office Productivity CAD EXCEL WP AOL picture

Vintage 90s PC Lot of 3.5 Floppy Disks Home Office Productivity CAD EXCEL WP AOL

$60.00



Vintage Data Technology DTC2280 16-Bit ISA I/O Card, Late '80s to Early '90s picture

Vintage Data Technology DTC2280 16-Bit ISA I/O Card, Late '80s to Early '90s

$89.00



HP 360LX Palmtop PC Vintage Pocket Computer, working, Stylus included. picture

HP 360LX Palmtop PC Vintage Pocket Computer, working, Stylus included.

$69.00



Compaq Presario 1640 Laptop HP 2940A Vintage Computer, Power Supply and mouse picture

Compaq Presario 1640 Laptop HP 2940A Vintage Computer, Power Supply and mouse

$159.95



Vintage Shuttle K48 Small Form Factor Pc FOR PARTS OR REPAIR picture

Vintage Shuttle K48 Small Form Factor Pc FOR PARTS OR REPAIR

$100.00



Vintage Microtech Europa 40 External SCSI Hard Drive (For Parts/Untested) picture

Vintage Microtech Europa 40 External SCSI Hard Drive (For Parts/Untested)

$59.95



**VINTAGE** Toshiba ND-0805AR 5.25

**VINTAGE** Toshiba ND-0805AR 5.25" 1.2MB Internal Floppy Disk Drive w/Cable

$49.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



RARE VINTAGE TIMEX Sinclair 1000 Personal Computer NEW IN BOX Vintage picture

RARE VINTAGE TIMEX Sinclair 1000 Personal Computer NEW IN BOX Vintage

$109.50



Vintage IMSAI Dual 8” Floppy Disk Drive PerSci 277 Powers On Rare picture

Vintage IMSAI Dual 8” Floppy Disk Drive PerSci 277 Powers On Rare

$1599.00