Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: hda1 full - how come? Help!

  1. #1

    hda1 full - how come? Help!

    Last year August, I installed Knoppix on my HDD. Great! Disk size is 2.8 GB, and was about 70% full (if I remember it correctly).

    All this time, I used it as a local web server with the webroot on the hda6 partition. I put my php files on this partition. Free space: 6GB on an 8 GB hdd.

    It was great, until hda1 went full this week! Less than a few K free space! Of course, sessions can't be written anymore, etc. How could this happen? I installed nothing after the initial install! BTW, the tmp dir is quite tidy.

    My question is: what kind of files could have been written on the hdd? And how do I clean up the disk, 'cause I cannot detect anything strange on the hdd. PROC is large as well, how do I purge this? And how can I prevent this for the future?

    TIA,
    Royston

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Is /var/log taking up alot of space?

    du -ch /var/log

    You can get rid of alot of files in there. For example you probably do not need any logs that end w/ 0 or .gz.

    For example I have these logs:
    kern.log
    kern.log.0
    kern.log.1.gz

    It would be perfectly fine to remove kern.log.0 & kern.log.1.gz

  3. #3
    Well, this took care of 3 MB of space... at least that is better than nothing. However, I have still 1 GB or so to go...

    Thanx anyway for your answer. But where did the other gigabyte of rubbish come from? And, for instance, how do I delete the /proc/ directory?

    Royston

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Not sure if I was clear on this or not. You can delete ALL old logs in /var/log.

    /proc is a dynamicly generated file system don't try to delete it. Use cron to automatically delete those old logs for you.

Similar Threads

  1. Cant create folders on hda1
    By PhilQ in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2005, 12:43 AM
  2. Can't Mount hda1 from my network
    By Skaster in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 09:04 PM
  3. HDA1 won't mount
    By jimandjeanette in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 02:50 PM
  4. KNOPPIX on hda1
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 04:29 AM
  5. KNOPPIX on hda1?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 04:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module picture

Cisco Meraki MA-SFP-1GB-SX Network Tranceiver Module

$89.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Arista SFP-10G-SR 10gbase-SR transceiver SFP+ (XVR-00001-02) picture

Arista SFP-10G-SR 10gbase-SR transceiver SFP+ (XVR-00001-02)

$9.00



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



Mellanox 655874-B21  655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678 picture

Mellanox 655874-B21 655902-001 QSFP to SFP+ Adapter Kit MAM1Q00A-QSA 00D9678

$13.99



LOT of 10 HPE Q2P65A 10Gb SFP+ Short Wave 850nm Optical Transceiver Module picture

LOT of 10 HPE Q2P65A 10Gb SFP+ Short Wave 850nm Optical Transceiver Module

$249.95



SFP QSFP Transceivers Programmer allows to corning and (re)programming sfp code picture

SFP QSFP Transceivers Programmer allows to corning and (re)programming sfp code

$108.09