Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: hda1 full - how come? Help!

  1. #1

    hda1 full - how come? Help!

    Last year August, I installed Knoppix on my HDD. Great! Disk size is 2.8 GB, and was about 70% full (if I remember it correctly).

    All this time, I used it as a local web server with the webroot on the hda6 partition. I put my php files on this partition. Free space: 6GB on an 8 GB hdd.

    It was great, until hda1 went full this week! Less than a few K free space! Of course, sessions can't be written anymore, etc. How could this happen? I installed nothing after the initial install! BTW, the tmp dir is quite tidy.

    My question is: what kind of files could have been written on the hdd? And how do I clean up the disk, 'cause I cannot detect anything strange on the hdd. PROC is large as well, how do I purge this? And how can I prevent this for the future?

    TIA,
    Royston

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Is /var/log taking up alot of space?

    du -ch /var/log

    You can get rid of alot of files in there. For example you probably do not need any logs that end w/ 0 or .gz.

    For example I have these logs:
    kern.log
    kern.log.0
    kern.log.1.gz

    It would be perfectly fine to remove kern.log.0 & kern.log.1.gz

  3. #3
    Well, this took care of 3 MB of space... at least that is better than nothing. However, I have still 1 GB or so to go...

    Thanx anyway for your answer. But where did the other gigabyte of rubbish come from? And, for instance, how do I delete the /proc/ directory?

    Royston

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Not sure if I was clear on this or not. You can delete ALL old logs in /var/log.

    /proc is a dynamicly generated file system don't try to delete it. Use cron to automatically delete those old logs for you.

Similar Threads

  1. Cant create folders on hda1
    By PhilQ in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2005, 12:43 AM
  2. Can't Mount hda1 from my network
    By Skaster in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 09:04 PM
  3. HDA1 won't mount
    By jimandjeanette in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 02:50 PM
  4. KNOPPIX on hda1
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 04:29 AM
  5. KNOPPIX on hda1?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 04:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH picture

SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH

$649.95



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



SK HYNIX HMAA8GL7MMR4N-UH 64GB PC4-2400T RDIMM Server RAM picture

SK HYNIX HMAA8GL7MMR4N-UH 64GB PC4-2400T RDIMM Server RAM

$289.95



HP EliteBook 850 G5 Laptop 15.6” FHD Intel Core i7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

HP EliteBook 850 G5 Laptop 15.6” FHD Intel Core i7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$349.99



Hynix HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 2Rx4 ECC Server Memory Module picture

Hynix HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 2Rx4 ECC Server Memory Module

$194.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



MICRON MTC40F204WS1RC48BB1 96GB (1X96GB) 2RX4 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER MEMORY picture

MICRON MTC40F204WS1RC48BB1 96GB (1X96GB) 2RX4 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER MEMORY

$2650.00



Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17 picture

2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17

$3.35



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99