-
HDD INSTALL
Well i got partition magic 8 so i wonder if its possible to use the partition magic bootmagic.. and to not use the lilo or grup with knoppix..
and what are the partition needed to install knoppix.. thanks!
-
Senior Member
registered user
I am unfamiliar with Partition Magic so I can't say for sure but in general (of course nothing is absolute) you can use another boot loader. They usually require you to install LILO to the root directory of the partition you want to boot. When you boot with "bootloader abc123" it will give you an OS selection menu. By choosing a Linux OS the bootmanager simply points to that partition and LILO takes over from there so you don't really ever get rid of LILO it just isn't your boot manager. I see no reason that Bootmagic wouldn't work unless it doesn't support Linux filesystems but I highly doubt that.
-
Senior Member
registered user
rickenbacherus is correct, put your lilo (or grub) bootloader on your root partition, NOT your mbr. I have used older versions of bootmagic and it worked fine.
Note: partitions made with PartitionMagic may not be compatible with other partition applications (DOS fdisk or linux fdisk, cfdisk, parted, etc.), so don't forget that if you create partitions on a drive with PM you may have to use it from that point on on that drive. I ran into this problem myself, I had a 20GB hd with a 9GB FAT32 partition and several ext2 partitions. I put the drive into my wife's computer and could not install windows on the 9GB partition, other partition apps saw it as a 2GB partition, finally after hours of running scandisk, and using another app the FAT was fixed and I was able to copy the partition and keep all of the data and then was able to re-partition and rebuild the drive.
rock
-
I don't really understand what you mean.. with partition magic partition. You are saying that the partition magic partition are not compatible with fdisk. Are you sure of that?
For the bootmenager will will ask me where to mount it ?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Darkworld
I don't really understand what you mean.. with partition magic partition. You are saying that the partition magic partition are not compatible with fdisk. Are you sure of that?
I think what Rock means is that if you use Partition Magic to make the partitions then you MIGHT always have to use it but not necessarily. He just gave you a 'heads up'.
For the bootmenager will will ask me where to mount it ?
Normally a boot manager installs into the first sector of the disk.
-
I have been using partition magic for several years now & have always used it to set up the hard disk for multi booting systems before installing any OS or boot manager. You have to ensure that the partitions are aligned to the cylinder boundaries otherwise you might run into problems. So far I have not run into compatibility problems unless the bios on the machine you shift your hard disk to does not support the full size of the Hard Disk.
For past year or so I have changed to BootItNG which is an unbelievable application allowing you to have any number of primary partions & resisizing / moving + a full fledged boot manager.
Try out the trial version from www.terabyteunlimited.com . You will love it.
One note of caution though, on very large hard disks the process of moving /sliding might be time consuming.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD
$100.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73