Add those module names to /etc/modules (or /etc/modules-KERNEL-VERSION if it exists). These modules are loaded at each boot.
Hello,
some weeks ago I had installed Knoppix 3.3 on HDD and everything works fine. But at that time, the USB support was switched off in the BIOS. Thus, there are now as a result no USB modules available in my Knoppix HDD installation (the output of "dmesg" doesn't show anything about a USB driver).
How can I add the needed USB modules (probably usbcore, usb-uhci and usb-storage) to my system?
When I boot Knoppix from CD, my USB stick is at least found within the "K Info Centre" and the vendor name / serial number shown there. Hence, the hardware seems to be working. Yet, I could't mount the USB stick so far as there seem to be some additional filesystem problems.
But what I actually want is to use the USB stick with my existing Knoppix 3.3 HDD installation. What shall I do???
Thanks in advance for your help!
Oli
Add those module names to /etc/modules (or /etc/modules-KERNEL-VERSION if it exists). These modules are loaded at each boot.
Hi Kelmo,
if this was so easy, I'd be glad. But it isn't!
I tried insmod usb*, but it didn't find the usb-storage module. Then I found it somewhere deep in the directory tree and installed it there manually. But when I try to mount my usb stick on sda1, I always get the error message: "not a valid block device". sda4 is my Iomega ZIP drive which works fine.
As I wrote, the situation is a little bit different when booting from CD (Knoppix 3.3 or 3.4ct): Then, the USB stick is recognized correctly (as shown with "dmesg"), but Knoppix installs four SCSI devices, named sda1, 2, 3, and 4. sda4 should be my Iomega ZIP drive. However, if you try to mount any of the sda1...4 devices, you'll get the error message "filesystem could not be detected".
Please help!
Olivier
I believe that it is a problem with the partition table of the device that you are trying to mount. The mere fact that the filesystem is the trouble means that the device is being detected properly.
I cannot give any more info, because I am not 100% certain on how to correct this, but it is a problem with the partition table.
I have read other threads in this forum on the same topic.

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121
$69.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73
Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99