Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Can't make configuration file work after install

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    32

    Can't make configuration file work after install

    Hi.

    I can't make the configuration saving work after installing to my hard drive. My network card has to be setup after each log-on because it doesn't remember. I click "save configuration file," but the only option is to save to floppy, and I don't have a floppy.

    I don't want to have to setup my network card and printer every time. What can I do?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    Re: Can't make configuration file work after install

    Quote Originally Posted by gradnite
    I can't make the configuration saving work after installing to my hard drive.
    Save your configuration as a normal user. You should have two media type (Floppy and Disk/Partition) when saving according to screenshot:
    http://tapsa.terae.net/linux/knoppix...nfig-media.png

    If you can't save your settings, start 'saveconfig' from konsole and check that 'device in not busy'.

    If you see only floppy, your configuration might be so special that Knoppix don't undestand it (serial ATA driver?) Can you mount your hard disk?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3
    Erm.. what if you have installed KNOPPIX into the hdd ? how to save the configuration cause when it boots the LILO does not allow me to enter the cheatcodes...

    Linux Newbie

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3
    I forgot to mentioned that i have
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get update

    after my hdd installation alrady. Does that mean the KNOPPIX GNU/LINUX will save all config on the local hdd ? I am scare to reboot now cause i may need to configure all again !

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by cagivaz
    Erm.. what if you have installed KNOPPIX into the hdd ? how to save the configuration cause when it boots the LILO does not allow me to enter the cheatcodes...

    Linux Newbie
    To use cheatcodes with lilo you (as root) edit the file /etc/lilo.conf then rerun lilo to make the changes take effect. The 'append= ' line in lilo.conf contains the cheatcodes.

    I can't make the configuration saving work after installing to my hard drive. My network card has to be setup after each log-on because it doesn't remember. I click "save configuration file," but the only option is to save to floppy, and I don't have a floppy.
    Something doesn't seem right here, if you're installed to the HD (and you must be if you are using lilo), you shouldn't have to 'save' your config changes, the setup should just be on the HD like one would expect (with one exception...a 'Knoppix style' HD install will rewrite lilo & some other config files with each reboot but that shouldn't affect printer settings). The 'Save your configuration' script should only be needed if you are running from CD or from a 'toHD' style install.

    I forgot to mentioned that i have
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get update
    Did you do them in that order? because you should update THEN upgrade so that your upgrade is using the latest available sources list. (BTW Congrats on the upgrade....any time I tried apt-get upgrade it pretty well trashed my system).
    but that brings up another point...during the upgrade there are usually several places where apt asks if you want to keep your existing config files or upgrade to the package maintainers version, etc. What did you choose? because if you chose to upgrade to the package maintainers config, it may have overwritten some Knoppix configuration files so that your system no longer behaves like Knoppix.

    One final check...is Knoppix detecting your network card correctly? does it set up properly when running from CD?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3
    Regarding the update and upgrade part i may have gotten the steps mixed up but nevertheless i discovered how wonderful the "apt-get" command is

    Well, i rebooted and my most of my configuration was saved. The Firefox browser i installed before i reboot was still working however , there was one problem... my network card configuration was gones.I need to reconfigure my nework card entering the usual values and addresses before my browser could work.

    And i also choose to upgradel the latest conf files for all of the apps when presented with the option.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1

    having issue with saving to file in Knoppix 6

    OK, I have used Ubuntu and Puppy Linux, and they never gave me this sort of problem! I did an HD full install with a Linux SWAP file on a separate partition as well, yet when I go to change anything in certain configuration files, it won't let me save when I go to save! It doesn't make sense at all.

    The reason I am trying to change things is, on my old IBM Thinkpad that stupid compiz desktop graphic mgr. makes my screen go crazy every time it starts up, seconds after Knoppix begins. I found some threads that said I could change the setting in the etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.config file by changing the line window_manager =compiz to window manager=openbox -lxde

    Fine, great, I get it. I've done stuff like this in terminal even, when using Ubuntu or even Puppy! Why, since I have it on my HD (not live CD) can't I save a simple change to a simple TXT type file?!?!?!?!?! HELP ME!

    Thanks in advance.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    512
    Did you try the command
    Code:
    sudo nano -w /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.config
    in a terminal?

Similar Threads

  1. Loading configuration file won't work
    By sfackler in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-31-2005, 03:32 AM
  2. Save knoppix configuration to file?
    By TP Diffenbach in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 11:02 AM
  3. Kmix configuration file
    By XavierGr in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 09:59 AM
  4. Newbie-trying to make a poor man's install work
    By jccorea in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-26-2005, 10:13 AM
  5. unable to make install - read-only file system
    By knopppixnewbie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 04:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP ZBook Firefly 14

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC

$184.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11 picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11

$89.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



LOT of 47 Intel Core i3 6100 x18, I3 7100 x19 I3 8100 x1, I5 8500 x1, I3 9100 x8 picture

LOT of 47 Intel Core i3 6100 x18, I3 7100 x19 I3 8100 x1, I5 8500 x1, I3 9100 x8

$400.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$395.95



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98



Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590 picture

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590

$129.00