Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix and Nvidia drivers

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    10

    Knoppix and Nvidia drivers

    I am developing a remaster of Knoppix with some games, and I called it LLGP.

    In this kind of live distro, is very useful accelerated 3D driver. I worked to include Nvidia drivers, and I had an idea.

    It's known that nvidia drivers use their version of libGL, that is in conflict with OpenGL, and this is my solution in brief.

    I putted opengl files in a new directory: "/KNOPPIX/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL". In /KNOPPIX/usr/lib, /KNOPPIX/usr/X11R6/lib and /KNOPPIX/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions I putted links to files in /KNOPPIX/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL. Then I created the directory "/KNOPPIX/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.nvidia" where are placed Nvidia GLX files. Other files, like kernel module and xfree module are not in conflict so they are in the usual directory.

    I modified also "/KNOPPIX/usr/sbin/mkxf86config", and $XMODULE="nv", it does some operations: it sets $XMODULE to "nvidia" and does "mount --bind /KNOPPIX/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.nvidia /KNOPPIX/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL", so now all link to libGL in /usr/lib points to the Nvidia GLX files.

    It's only a brief, it's a little more complex, but this is the idea, and it works! I prepared a patch for LLGP, and you can find it at http://tuxgamers.altervista.org/llgp...php?tg_lang=en. With some modifications it will be used also on Knoppix. Download the patch to see my work.

    I don't know if this idea will be used on Knoppix, but it may be used on some remasters.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    Thank you for sharing your good work.

    I will test this in my own remaster and give you some feedback.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    140
    Can you go step by step ?
    Say I am chroot'ed in my remaster do I need to mkdir llgp_nvidia_patch ? Where do I need to create this directory?
    "the iso of LLGP 0.0.1, that must have the name "llgp_it-0.0.1.iso" Is this ISO created by the script?
    Ok I am in the directory llgp_nvidia_patch I type "./install"
    My remaster will be llgp_it-0.0.1+Nvidia_patch.iso? Correct?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    10
    The script is for who downloaded LLGP (my remaster), doesn't know anything about remastering and wants to apply my patch to LLGP.

    If you want to use my solution on your knoppix remaster, you can download the patch, extract files and examine the file patch.tar.gz in the directory llgp_nvidia_patch. This file contains all modified files from LLGP 0.0.1 "vanilla": a kernel module compiled for 2.4 kernel of knoppix 3.4 (first download release), my changes in /usr/sbin/mkxf86config, changes in /usr/lib, /usr/X11R6/lib , some config files and other.

    Probably you have to examinate file patch.tar.gz and fit to your remaster.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    10
    I developed 2 .deb packages to install the drivers on a knoppix remaster. I will insert them on the next version of LLGP, but I don't know when I will release it.

    The first is a mod of xf86config-knoppix, the second installs Nvidia drivers without conflicts with mesa-gl libraries, so they can be activated by the first package if a nvidia card was found during the boot.

    In /usr/src/nv are installed sources for Nvidia kernel module, and you have to compile them manually after the install on your remaster.

    I tried to install them on my remaster, and seems that there are no troubles during install or removing (I resolved also a problem with ldconf), but you have to check them before install (They are my 1st deb packages ). You use them at your own risk and peril!

    I have not yet tested the packages on a running cd, so if you'll try to use them please tell me if they runs, and please give me some suggestions!

    Download them from http://tuxgamers.altervista.org/pack...0.1-1_i386.deb and ftp://tuxgamers.altervista.org/packa...111-1_i386.deb (my host doesn't like direct links to files from other pages, so probably you have to copy the links on the address bar and press enter)

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    10
    I'm sorry, but I found a big bug on my method.

    The module "nv" is not only for nvidia video cards, but is a generic vesa driver.

    I have to modify "/usr/share/hwdata/Cards", and set nvidia instead nv only for nvidia chipsets.

    The files are no longer available, i will release a fixed version as soon as possible.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    10
    I built 2 new packages (llgp-nvidia doesn't need changes). You can find them, with a brief explain here!

Similar Threads

  1. Nvidia Drivers
    By Dioxin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 03:29 PM
  2. Steps I took to configure Knoppix (Nvidia drivers and more)
    By yosef in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 03:25 AM
  3. Help with 2.6.6 and Nvidia Drivers
    By naventus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 08:00 PM
  4. Nvidia drivers i tried all.......
    By Malo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 03:44 AM
  5. nvidia drivers
    By evilgeek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-22-2003, 11:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung Book Cover Keyboard Slim Black, Antimicrobial, English QWERTY EF-DT730 picture

Samsung Book Cover Keyboard Slim Black, Antimicrobial, English QWERTY EF-DT730

$55.00



Samsung Chromebook 11.6

Samsung Chromebook 11.6" Intel Celeron Chrome OS Gray (Charger Inc)

$22.00



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem

$98.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working

$30.00



Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB Internal 2.5 SSD Solid State Drive S/N S1D9NSAFB08570 picture

Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB Internal 2.5 SSD Solid State Drive S/N S1D9NSAFB08570

$389.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00