Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Hard disk problems, what utils should I use to diagnose-ext3

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4

    Hard disk problems, what utils should I use to diagnose-ext3

    I previously posted a problem with my vt6200 laptop, that being that windows kept crashing. I scan disked and found that it crashed @ 75% each time. So I thought I'd load knoppix and and see if I could diagnose the problem.

    Unfortunately it wasn't that simple. Knoppix kept crashing (leading me to think it was a motherboard fault)

    However, I've bought an external USB caddy for 2.5" drives, filled my empty drive with junk and then copied it off. The disk reported I/O errors.

    Someone helpfully suggested I used this command: Knoppix26 nomount noswap. So that's what I did, and I've been using knoppix for about an hour without crashing.

    So now I know how to boot without crashing, what can I do to try and diagnose my problems? Anything I can do to try and fix them & worse come to wose, anything I can do to format this in a way that my personal data doesn't fall into the wrong hands when I harrass hitachi for a replacement?

    The filesystem is NTFS

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    I have no idea how to diagnose windows problems w/ Knoppix. You can however use DBAN to erase your drive.

    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    If you don't have a floppy you could always use Knoppix to zero the drive like so:

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

    A word of caution- don't test that command out to see what it does. There is no "are you sure?".

Similar Threads

  1. help me diagnose an apt error
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 03:47 PM
  2. Sound/Audio problems on a hard disk install.
    By lothario in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 08:53 PM
  3. Adding another hard disk.
    By captain in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 06:19 PM
  4. Writing to a (ext3) hard disk from cd boot
    By conor in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2003, 07:41 PM
  5. MySQL and Hard Disk..
    By Darkworld in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2003, 01:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU picture

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU

$74.99



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$14.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY picture

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY

$94.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Desktop Processor (3.7GHz, 6 Cores, AM4 CPU) 100-100000065 picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Desktop Processor (3.7GHz, 6 Cores, AM4 CPU) 100-100000065

$125.00



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 11 picture

Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 11

$1595.00



HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P picture

HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P

$319.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99