Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Hard disk problems, what utils should I use to diagnose-ext3

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4

    Hard disk problems, what utils should I use to diagnose-ext3

    I previously posted a problem with my vt6200 laptop, that being that windows kept crashing. I scan disked and found that it crashed @ 75% each time. So I thought I'd load knoppix and and see if I could diagnose the problem.

    Unfortunately it wasn't that simple. Knoppix kept crashing (leading me to think it was a motherboard fault)

    However, I've bought an external USB caddy for 2.5" drives, filled my empty drive with junk and then copied it off. The disk reported I/O errors.

    Someone helpfully suggested I used this command: Knoppix26 nomount noswap. So that's what I did, and I've been using knoppix for about an hour without crashing.

    So now I know how to boot without crashing, what can I do to try and diagnose my problems? Anything I can do to try and fix them & worse come to wose, anything I can do to format this in a way that my personal data doesn't fall into the wrong hands when I harrass hitachi for a replacement?

    The filesystem is NTFS

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    I have no idea how to diagnose windows problems w/ Knoppix. You can however use DBAN to erase your drive.

    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    If you don't have a floppy you could always use Knoppix to zero the drive like so:

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

    A word of caution- don't test that command out to see what it does. There is no "are you sure?".

Similar Threads

  1. help me diagnose an apt error
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 03:47 PM
  2. Sound/Audio problems on a hard disk install.
    By lothario in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 08:53 PM
  3. Adding another hard disk.
    By captain in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 06:19 PM
  4. Writing to a (ext3) hard disk from cd boot
    By conor in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2003, 07:41 PM
  5. MySQL and Hard Disk..
    By Darkworld in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2003, 01:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$119.00



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE picture

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE

$59.99



New Juniper SRX345-SYS-JB-2AC Junos Router Firewall Services Gateway 16GbE SFP picture

New Juniper SRX345-SYS-JB-2AC Junos Router Firewall Services Gateway 16GbE SFP

$560.15



Juniper EX2300-C-12T 12-Port 1Gbe RJ45  2x 10G SFP+ Fanless Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12T 12-Port 1Gbe RJ45 2x 10G SFP+ Fanless Switch

$245.00



Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter picture

Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter

$59.99



Juniper EX4600-40F-AFO 24-Port Dual PSU Network Switch picture

Juniper EX4600-40F-AFO 24-Port Dual PSU Network Switch

$151.98



Juniper EX3400-48T-AFI Ethernet Network Switch 48x1GbE 4x10GbE SFP+ 2x40GbE QSFP picture

Juniper EX3400-48T-AFI Ethernet Network Switch 48x1GbE 4x10GbE SFP+ 2x40GbE QSFP

$139.00



Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management picture

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management

$249.97



Juniper Network QFX5100-48S-AFO 48x SFP/SFP+ 6x 40GbE QSFP+ Switch w/ Dual power picture

Juniper Network QFX5100-48S-AFO 48x SFP/SFP+ 6x 40GbE QSFP+ Switch w/ Dual power

$223.20