-
Hard disk problems, what utils should I use to diagnose-ext3
I previously posted a problem with my vt6200 laptop, that being that windows kept crashing. I scan disked and found that it crashed @ 75% each time. So I thought I'd load knoppix and and see if I could diagnose the problem.
Unfortunately it wasn't that simple. Knoppix kept crashing (leading me to think it was a motherboard fault)
However, I've bought an external USB caddy for 2.5" drives, filled my empty drive with junk and then copied it off. The disk reported I/O errors.
Someone helpfully suggested I used this command: Knoppix26 nomount noswap. So that's what I did, and I've been using knoppix for about an hour without crashing.
So now I know how to boot without crashing, what can I do to try and diagnose my problems? Anything I can do to try and fix them & worse come to wose, anything I can do to format this in a way that my personal data doesn't fall into the wrong hands when I harrass hitachi for a replacement?
The filesystem is NTFS
Similar Threads
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-02-2004, 03:47 PM
-
By lothario in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-20-2004, 08:53 PM
-
By captain in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-20-2004, 06:19 PM
-
By conor in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-22-2003, 07:41 PM
-
By Darkworld in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-15-2003, 01:24 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E
$139.99

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used
$39.99

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00
$199.99

Vintage Retro Tested Clean Shuttle HOT-419 Vesa Local Bus ISA / AT + 8MB RAM
$189.95

Early Intel 3301 White Cap Vintage Ceramic chip - ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)
$750.00

Intel 8080A Vintage ceramic chip - 1 leg missing w/ some corrosion (BO)
$75.00

Vintage Radio Shack TRS-80 Expansion Interface Fully Upgraded Max 32k Ram
$300.00

VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD [email protected] 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ
$160.00

Vintage Mitsubishi CDVR412 CD-RW Optical Drive SCSI 50 Pin Used
$47.99