-
Help w/SCSI -- FATAL ERROR, just with 3.4
I'm sorry, but I have to unload. I hope someone sees this, knowing something about SCSI, and is able to help. Here goes:
I've been working on this for three days. (Not that I have too much time on my hands, I need to get on with some other things.) It took me two days to figure out that I needed to update my SCSI bios to get 3.4 to boot. Knoppix 3.3 and Knoppix-STD booted fine under the old bios, go figure.
This old computer is an Intel 440BX chipset with Pentium II 450MHz. It is running completely off an Adaptec 2940U/UW controller. On this SCSI chain is an external cdrom and four UW internal hard drives. There is a Zip disk on the primary IDE channel.
Before I started this ordeal, I had WinXP on SCSI id 0, Knoppix 3.3 on SCSI id 1, and Knoppix-STD on SCSI id 4. The cdrom is on SCSI id 2. This setup was working fine. The default boot went to XP. If I changed the boot order in SCSI bios (before I changed the bios) I could boot with a floppy to either the Knoppix 3.3 or STD.
But I could not live with this because I want Kdevelop which is included with 3.4. I thought it would be easier to install 3.4 than to install Kdevelop into 3.3.
Anyway, that's water-under-the-bridge. I have now low-level formatted all four drives. I would settle at this point for installing 3.4 only. My best of all worlds would be to have XP on a drive, and 3.4 on another drive. I might be able to swing this if I could get 3.4 to instal. With XP on one drive, LILO in place and 3.4 on another drive, I can boot into XP fine. But when I try to get LILO to boot into Knoppix, I get something like this:
unmount: devfs: not mounted
mount: fs type devfs not supported by kernel
unmount: devfs: not mounted
pivot_root: no such file or directory
/sbin/init: 423: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernal panic: Attempted to kill init!
.......and everything stops right there.
And everytime (and there have been many) I try to do knoppix-installer no matter to what drive or SCSI boot id number, I get the following just before installation ends:
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo qtparted
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo knoppix-installer
Disk /dev/sdc doesn't contain a valid partition table
No Implementation: This ext2 filesystem has a rather strange layout! Parted can't resize this (yet).
Disk /dev/sdc doesn't contain a valid partition table
Disk /dev/sdc doesn't contain a valid partition table
Disk /dev/sdc doesn't contain a valid partition table
Can't remove /usr/share/applications/./Ethereal.desktop: Read-only file system, skipping file.
Can't remove /usr/share/applications/./EtherealAsRoot.desktop: Read-only file system, skipping file.
Can't remove /usr/share/applications/./qtparted.desktop: Read-only file system, skipping file.
Can't remove /usr/share/applnk/./Settings/Peripherals/kxconfig.desktop: Read-only file system, skipping file.
/usr/sbin/mkinitrd: add_modules_dep_2_5: modprobe failed
FATAL: Module sd_mod not found.
Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
mke2fs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
184 inodes, 1440 blocks
72 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
1 block group
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
184 inodes per group
Writing inode tables: done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done
This filesystem will be automatically checked every 24 mounts or
180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i to override.
Ignoring entry 'boot'
Ignoring entry 'install'
Ignoring entry 'map'
Warning: COMPACT may conflict with LBA32 on some systems
Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
Added Linux *
Added Linux(2.4)-1
Added Linux(2.6)-2
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$
And then the installer tells me I have successfully intalled to my hard drive.
By the way, if you have read this far you must have interest in SCSI, so as a post-note, DO NOT try fdisk /mbr and fixmbr with SCSI. Trust me -- been there, done that.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Similar Threads
-
By Mustang64 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-24-2005, 11:22 PM
-
By toxic_d in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-08-2004, 03:22 AM
-
By rosemeyer2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-09-2004, 06:45 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server Intel Xeon E5630 4GB DDR3 No HDD
$279.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive
$200.00

IBM Power8 Server Control Panel Assembly FRU PN: 00E1966 Tested Working
$19.99

DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB G3D
$142.50

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99