Sure. Just do a knoppix-type install.
Is there a way I can install knoppix to hard drive, boot and customize it the way I want, then recompress it and make a custom live cd. I want to retain all the auto-configuring capabilities, add and remove packages, and create desktop shortcuts for most of the things I install.
Sure. Just do a knoppix-type install.
You can add stuff after your knoppix-type install, but just make sure that you remove enough stuff so that your remaster can be compressed to a size no larter than 700mb...unless your remaster will be going on a dvd.
This sounds really useful. Can anyone please provide some details? When I create a compress file system, I do
# create the new compressed file
mkisofs -R -U -V "ParallelKnoppix" -P "pareto.uab.es/mcreel/ParallelKnoppix" -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad $PARALLELKNOPPIXDIR/source/KNOPPIX | nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > $PARALLELKNOPPIXDIR/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
Just how would that need to be modified to compress the fs after a hd install? Would one just need to replace "$PARALLELKNOPPIXDIR/source/KNOPPIX" with "/" ?
Can /home be on a different partition than / ?
Originally Posted by mcreel
Yes.Just how would that need to be modified to compress the fs after a hd install? Would one just need to replace "$PARALLELKNOPPIXDIR/source/KNOPPIX" with "/" ?
I don't think so. Just make your remaster as normal, then set up a persistent home or home partition when it is to be used.Can /home be on a different partition than / ?
home/knoppix is usually deleted when remastering anyway & recreated from /etc/skel at next reboot.
I've been working on a HOW-TO for remastering from a HD install, guess I might as well post it now for feedback.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard
$90.99
ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard
$101.99
ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI
$289.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99