Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Remaster from hd install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1

    Remaster from hd install

    Is there a way I can install knoppix to hard drive, boot and customize it the way I want, then recompress it and make a custom live cd. I want to retain all the auto-configuring capabilities, add and remove packages, and create desktop shortcuts for most of the things I install.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Sure. Just do a knoppix-type install.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    You can add stuff after your knoppix-type install, but just make sure that you remove enough stuff so that your remaster can be compressed to a size no larter than 700mb...unless your remaster will be going on a dvd.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    89
    This sounds really useful. Can anyone please provide some details? When I create a compress file system, I do

    # create the new compressed file
    mkisofs -R -U -V "ParallelKnoppix" -P "pareto.uab.es/mcreel/ParallelKnoppix" -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad $PARALLELKNOPPIXDIR/source/KNOPPIX | nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > $PARALLELKNOPPIXDIR/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    Just how would that need to be modified to compress the fs after a hd install? Would one just need to replace "$PARALLELKNOPPIXDIR/source/KNOPPIX" with "/" ?

    Can /home be on a different partition than / ?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by mcreel
    This sounds really useful. Can anyone please provide some details? When I create a compress file system, I do

    # create the new compressed file
    mkisofs -R -U -V "ParallelKnoppix" -P "pareto.uab.es/mcreel/ParallelKnoppix" -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad $PARALLELKNOPPIXDIR/source/KNOPPIX | nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > $PARALLELKNOPPIXDIR/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
    Just how would that need to be modified to compress the fs after a hd install? Would one just need to replace "$PARALLELKNOPPIXDIR/source/KNOPPIX" with "/" ?
    Yes.

    Can /home be on a different partition than / ?
    I don't think so. Just make your remaster as normal, then set up a persistent home or home partition when it is to be used.
    home/knoppix is usually deleted when remastering anyway & recreated from /etc/skel at next reboot.

    I've been working on a HOW-TO for remastering from a HD install, guess I might as well post it now for feedback.

Similar Threads

  1. Remaster from HD Install How-To: Comments Please
    By CrashedAgain in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 04:03 PM
  2. Remaster from HD install
    By CrashedAgain in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 05:29 AM
  3. How can I install KDE 3.1.4 into my remaster with KDE 3.1.2
    By Blue in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 10:08 PM
  4. Remaster From HD Install
    By bongski55 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 08:06 PM
  5. how to remaster KNOPPIX from HD-install
    By jirka in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2003, 03:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly picture

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly

$18.95



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U picture

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U

$159.99



Broken Atari 130XE Console System 130XE No Power picture

Broken Atari 130XE Console System 130XE No Power

$129.99



Vintage Atari Portfolio 16-Bit PC Palmtop Computer - Retro Computing picture

Vintage Atari Portfolio 16-Bit PC Palmtop Computer - Retro Computing

$96.00



Atari Portfolio Parallel Interface PDA Accessory New Sealed Vintage Rare picture

Atari Portfolio Parallel Interface PDA Accessory New Sealed Vintage Rare

$75.00



VINTAGE Atari Portfolio Serial Interface Module picture

VINTAGE Atari Portfolio Serial Interface Module

$185.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00