-
Problems installing Knoppix in USB External disk
This is my situation:
- I have an IBM Thinkpad T40 with hard disk (Windows XP) and DVD but no floppy disk
- I have an USB External hard disk with 40 GB
I have tried to install Knoppix in the USB External hard disk. Now it was two partitions:
- 1st partition: FAT32
- 2nd partition: EXT3 (created by Knoppix using qpart)
I have tried to install Knoppix using the "Knoppix-installer" utility, but I haven't been very lucky.... One of the doubts that have arised to me was what to answer when "knoppix-installer" asks about LILO location (MBR or root partition). I want LILO to be in the external disk... but I don't know how to say this to "knoppix-installer"
In my unsuccesful try, I have selected "MBR" and I have lost access to Windows XP in my laptop hard disk (panic!!!). LILO did not appear at boot, only a black screen with lots of numbers. Windows XP did not boot at all. After some hours, I have been able to fix it using Windows XP recovery console tool.
So, at this moment, Knoppix is installed in the 2nd partition of the external USB hard disk but I don't know how to boot from that partition.
What should I do? Should I reinstall Knoppix choosing "Root Partition" as LILO location instead? Will that mess my Windows XP boot again? What does exactly mean "Root Partition"? Will LILO install in my external hard disk? Any other suggestion?
Similar Threads
-
By mark.johnson in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-20-2005, 11:07 PM
-
By chiefreborn in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-13-2005, 12:35 PM
-
By FidoBoy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-07-2005, 09:50 PM
-
By spangeman in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 04-03-2004, 07:51 AM
-
By mikekgr in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-17-2004, 11:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$374.48

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00