Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Yet again, problem concerning the black screen of death.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2

    Yet again, problem concerning the black screen of death.

    I bought my copy of Knoppix earlier today as I'm up to my mustache with using Winblows 98, and I've also been interested in Linux for a while now. Thus I shall righteously be labled "/\/00b".

    So far, I've been unsuccessful getting the program to run or install. I made a (floppy) boot disc with "boot.img", rebooted with the CD in my drive. And I see the penguin at the top left corner of the screen. Some things start to load, and I see a big list of grey errors going down the screen (I'm not sure what it is even though I've seen it several times. Something about data loss from reading the CD). Then it it starts detecting things like my USB devices (mouse and keyboard), and it gets to my video card (an ATI Radeon 7500). It loads and configures it alright from what I could see, but then it says something about loading into the GUI and from that point on I'm staring at a black screen regardless of what I press or how long I hold it down.

    If I could take one single guess, I'd say that it's the video card. Or maybe those errors at the beginning had something to do with it. But my CD-drive plays everything else just fine. Any help or suggestions at all are greatly appreciated. I was very excited and looking forward to finally being able to use this OS, but this is turning out to be a complicated and frustrating issue.


    (One last thing, I tried mixing commands like knoppix 800x600, bf1024x768 and got the same result. As I am typing this post, Windows has just enlightened me that it decided my "Rundll32" commited an invalid page fault. HELP ME!)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Yet again, problem concerning the black screen of death.

    Quote Originally Posted by Veclord
    I see a big list of grey errors going down the screen (I'm not sure what it is even though I've seen it several times. Something about data loss from reading the CD).
    From your description it sounds like a bad cd. Are the errors "cloop" errors? If so you've definitely got a bad cd. Try booting like so:

    knoppix testcd

    It should return "Everything looks ok" or similar.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I agree with mzilikazi. Your CD is probably a dud. I would try burning it again (possibly on different media) and/or burning it at a slower speed.

    You can get a clearer idea of what's going on by doing as mzilikazi said and using the testcd cheat code.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2
    Well, I got it working right and countered the crap CD problem by doing a HD install.

    Now I'm having problems with my modem. It's a Creative Modem Blaster PCI DI5633. I can't find a driver that'll work on linux yet and whoever I ask just says "go buy a real modem" .

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5

    Modem drivers

    This site should be of help, http://www.linmodems.org. Also, why can't you burn another CD - the modem might not be working because the drivers for it are on a corrupted part of the disk!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    The allways cheap tip 'burn new cd' is mostly wrong.
    Why should the screen turn black when starting the gui?

    Try starting with "4" which means runlevel 4.
    So if your options are "THIS AND THAT"
    knoppix26 THIS AND THAT 4

    This should give you a shelllogin.
    Then you may start x11 with 'startx' and evaluate the logfile after crashing:

    cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.6: Icewm: Log out to the screen of death
    By beforewisdom in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-29-2004, 03:40 PM
  2. Help my screen is black
    By mperry2014 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2003, 05:58 AM
  3. screen goes black... help
    By HouseOfPancakes in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 01:30 AM
  4. White screen of DEATH. (Laptop install) Averatec 3120
    By malic in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 01:27 PM
  5. Black Screen after boot screen
    By Jmack0013 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2003, 04:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99



AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad

$355.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-4590 3.3 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop Processor CPU SR1QJ picture

Intel Core i5-4590 3.3 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop Processor CPU SR1QJ

$10.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99