Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: (Some different) Questions before I start....

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    3

    (Some different) Questions before I start....

    Hi

    There's a great thread going with a similar title in this section. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite answer my questions so I've decided to post these separately.

    Basically, I have Mandrake 9.2 installed on my system. I recently tried updating this to version 10 and almost lost my system. I've since tried Knoppix, loved it, and now want to install it on my HDD. "No problem", you say. But... and here's the big question... I'd like to retain the /home partition from my present set-up. Can I do this? If so, how?

    My other partitions are /usr, / and swap. Can Knoppix recognise these and use them in the same way that Mandrake does? I've done several re-installs of Mandrake where these get reformatted while /home is retained.

    Alternatively, I have some spare room on my HDD - remnants of an XP install I had to wipe and have, so far, been unable to re-use. I could reformat this as ext3 and install Knoppix here. But I'd rather retain a separate /home as I've found this very useful in the past.

    Thanks in advance for any and all help offered.


    Lance

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    What you want IS easy. The simplest method would be to install Knoppix, boot into it then edit /etc/fstab so that your existing /home is mounted on boot. It is also quite simple to edit the installer script so that other partitions are used. I have already written dircetions for it here.

    Note that the installer will NOT format any partitions except /

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    What you want IS easy. The simplest method would be to install Knoppix, boot into it then edit /etc/fstab so that your existing /home is mounted on boot.
    A little confused here. This sounds like I install Knoppix - creating /home in the process - then change the mount point so that /home points to my existing partition. I don't see this giving me what I want.

    However, following the instructions on the other site it looks as though, by setting the HD_MAP, I can get the installer to use my existing /home for the install. This is exactly what I want as all the personal stuff I currently use with Mandrake will still be there when I boot up Knoppix.

    So... if I understand this correctly.... I set the HD_MAP to mount my /, /usr and /home. I do the install and everything ends up where it should. Great.


    Note that the installer will NOT format any partitions except /
    OK. So how do I format /usr prior to the install?

    Thanks for the response, by the way.


    Lance

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    27
    I think I know what you're trying to do, but I'm not certain. Try this:

    Boot into Knoppix off the CD

    1) Use QTParted to create a new partition to use as your new /home.

    2) Move the contents of your existing /home (from your mandrake install, not from the knoppix CD) to this new partition.

    3) Use QTParted to format your /usr partition.

    4) Run knoppix-installer and go through the installation process.

    Boot into your new installation, and edit the fstab to mount your new home partition to /home and your reformatted /usr partition to /usr on boot.

    And that's it.

    Is that what you mean? :/ I'm new to this so I may have completely misunderstood what you want. Also, the method I just gave may be a load of rubbish. I wouldn't try that unless you're sure it'll work, or unless someone else confirms it.

    Good luck

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by elldee
    A little confused here. This sounds like I install Knoppix - creating /home in the process - then change the mount point so that /home points to my existing partition. I don't see this giving me what I want.

    However, following the instructions on the other site it looks as though, by setting the HD_MAP, I can get the installer to use my existing /home for the install. This is exactly what I want as all the personal stuff I currently use with Mandrake will still be there when I boot up Knoppix.
    If you add your existing /home partition to HD_MAP in .knofig the installer will overwrite any files/directories of the same name on your existing /home partition! Make sense?

    Example. The installer will write .kde to /home overwriting your existing .kde

    This is why I suggest running the installer, mounting up /usr in .knofig and editing fstab AFTER you boot into your new installation. If you want to reuse your existing /home partition just as it is then this is what you want. It should go without saying that one should always make a backup of the important stuff first.

    Assuming you used /dev/hda2 for /home
    Boot your new install.....
    Code:
    cd /home/username
    rm -rf * .*
    mount /dev/hda2 /home
    xedit /etc/fstab
    OK. So how do I format /usr prior to the install?
    For ext3 do:
    Code:
    mke2fs -j /dev/hda3

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    27
    Ah yes. I'd misread the post actually. I didn't realise /home was already on a partition of its own. Ignore my previous post .

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez
    Ah yes. I'd misread the post actually. I didn't realise /home was already on a partition of its own. Ignore my previous post .
    /home is not on its own partition by default. It is a directory under the root filesystem.
    /home is only a directory UNTIL you decide to mount another partition to it. Then it is both a directory & mount point. So....you will mount the partition that contains the files/directories from /home to the mountpoint /home

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    27
    He said

    I'd like to retain the /home partition from my present set-up
    Which I misread as saying "I'd like to retain the /home directory". I didn't realise he already had a partition already mounted to /home. That's all

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    If you add your existing /home partition to HD_MAP in .knofig the installer will overwrite any files/directories of the same name on your existing /home partition! Make sense?

    Example. The installer will write .kde to /home overwriting your existing .kde
    This sounds like what I'm after. As I said before, in the past I've re-installed (or installed a new version of) Mandrake, formatting all partitions apart from /home. On completion, all my previous settings (e.g. Kmail folders, bookmarks and address book) were retained while whatever changes came with the install were installed as desired. Now, this is what I'm trying to achieve here.


    Thanks again for the responses. Thanks also to Jez.


    Lance

Similar Threads

  1. where i must start????
    By techz_boy in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2005, 05:54 AM
  2. how 2 start
    By ck_lee in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 04:10 PM
  3. a few questions. System doesn't start
    By dobell in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 04:24 PM
  4. Two questions before I start my remaster.
    By estranged in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 08:53 AM
  5. Where do I start??
    By Rhymer in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 10:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM picture

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM

$37.99



Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$164.95



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00



[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] 8GB DDR3 LAPTOP RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX, etc. picture

[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] 8GB DDR3 LAPTOP RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX, etc.

$89.99



Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3600MHz CMW16GX4M2D3600C18 picture

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3600MHz CMW16GX4M2D3600C18

$99.70



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Samsung (21x16GB) 336GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA, PC4-2666V Laptop Memory DDR4 picture

Samsung (21x16GB) 336GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA, PC4-2666V Laptop Memory DDR4

$1299.00



SK Hynix 32GB (1x32GB) 2666MHz HMAA4GS6MJR8N-VK 2Rx8 PC4-2666V Laptop RAM picture

SK Hynix 32GB (1x32GB) 2666MHz HMAA4GS6MJR8N-VK 2Rx8 PC4-2666V Laptop RAM

$129.95



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99



Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 RAM 16GB (1X16GB) 3200Mhz CL16 Desktop Memory picture

Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 RAM 16GB (1X16GB) 3200Mhz CL16 Desktop Memory

$182.23