Try edit your /etc/inittab :
On top of the file should have this line:
# The default runlevel.
id:5:initdefault:
Yout id must be 5, if different change it.
Also check your /etc/rc5.d folder for unusual symlink.
I did a HDD install from the Knoppix linuxtag 3.4 DVD, removed all knoppix-specifics and replaced them with official debian packages & kernel 2.6
Now the system won't complete the boot process on its own - after mounting the root filesystem and loading the modules, it initiates a shutdown.
I'm not sure if this is being called from a shutdown script, or what's going on.
I have to start in single user mode and issue "init 2" to get it to work.
Has anyone else seen this, and if not , I would still appreciate some insight.
Try edit your /etc/inittab :
On top of the file should have this line:
# The default runlevel.
id:5:initdefault:
Yout id must be 5, if different change it.
Also check your /etc/rc5.d folder for unusual symlink.
Thanks I have tried that, but am still at a loss. The system begins to boot, then switches to runlevel 0 on its own, and halts.
I can only get it to boot by entering single-user mode and issuing 'init 2' .
I have since reinstalled knoppix using knoppix-installer, and upgraded with debian-specific debs. Exact same problem..
What could be causing the system to enter runlevel 0 on its own, during boot? My hdd is clean, and it's not being fsck'd , and nothing out of the ordinary appears to be happening except for this.
I believed there is some services that not suppose to run in your init.
Try list your /etc/rc5.d and /etc/rcS.d, and post it here.

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard
$95.99
Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK
$154.99
ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 Z370 HDMI USB 3.1 2 Ultra M.2 DDR4 ATX Motherboard
$75.00