Try edit your /etc/inittab :
On top of the file should have this line:
# The default runlevel.
id:5:initdefault:
Yout id must be 5, if different change it.
Also check your /etc/rc5.d folder for unusual symlink.
I did a HDD install from the Knoppix linuxtag 3.4 DVD, removed all knoppix-specifics and replaced them with official debian packages & kernel 2.6
Now the system won't complete the boot process on its own - after mounting the root filesystem and loading the modules, it initiates a shutdown.
I'm not sure if this is being called from a shutdown script, or what's going on.
I have to start in single user mode and issue "init 2" to get it to work.
Has anyone else seen this, and if not , I would still appreciate some insight.
Try edit your /etc/inittab :
On top of the file should have this line:
# The default runlevel.
id:5:initdefault:
Yout id must be 5, if different change it.
Also check your /etc/rc5.d folder for unusual symlink.
Thanks I have tried that, but am still at a loss. The system begins to boot, then switches to runlevel 0 on its own, and halts.
I can only get it to boot by entering single-user mode and issuing 'init 2' .
I have since reinstalled knoppix using knoppix-installer, and upgraded with debian-specific debs. Exact same problem..
What could be causing the system to enter runlevel 0 on its own, during boot? My hdd is clean, and it's not being fsck'd , and nothing out of the ordinary appears to be happening except for this.
I believed there is some services that not suppose to run in your init.
Try list your /etc/rc5.d and /etc/rcS.d, and post it here.

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
$280.00
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00
Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00
Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1245v6 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD
$483.99
Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD
$477.00
Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1240v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD
$484.00
HP PROLIANT MICROSERVER GEN8 E3-1220LV2 @ 2.30GHz, 8GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$164.97
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99