Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Getting the monitor in the right resolution

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    27

    Getting the monitor in the right resolution

    Hi there. I recently did a hard disk install, and now I'm trying to get various things working. One such thing is my monitor. It 'works' fine, but the highest resolution available was 1024x768, and it seemed to insist on running at 100Hz.

    After a bit of searching etc., I came to the conclusion that I needed to fiddle with XF86Config-4 a bit. I did so. I commented out a load of lines which one thread suggested, and that did nothing by itself. However, I then looked futher down in the file, and found a bit which seemed to list available resolutions for each bit depth.

    The lists for each depth listed "1024x768" as being the highest resolution. I simple stuck "1600x1200" "1280x1024" on the beginning of each of these lines.

    This partially worked. Thing is, now everything is running at 1280x1024, which is one of the options I added... But this now seems to be the highest resolution available. I'm currently sitting here in Windows () and everything is working happilly at 1600x1200, like it always has done. I'm a bit clueless why "1600x1200" is not available for me in Linux at the moment.

    Anybody know what I should be editing/installing to make this work properly?

    If it's any help, I'm using an LG F900P monitor. I think this is more of a software thing though, right?

    Any help appreciated

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Getting the monitor in the right resolution

    Quote Originally Posted by Jez
    Hi there. I recently did a hard disk install, and now I'm trying to get various things working. One such thing is my monitor. It 'works' fine, but the highest resolution available was 1024x768, and it seemed to insist on running at 100Hz.

    After a bit of searching etc., I came to the conclusion that I needed to fiddle with XF86Config-4 a bit. I did so. I commented out a load of lines which one thread suggested, and that did nothing by itself. However, I then looked futher down in the file, and found a bit which seemed to list available resolutions for each bit depth.

    The lists for each depth listed "1024x768" as being the highest resolution. I simple stuck "1600x1200" "1280x1024" on the beginning of each of these lines.

    This partially worked. Thing is, now everything is running at 1280x1024, which is one of the options I added... But this now seems to be the highest resolution available. I'm currently sitting here in Windows () and everything is working happilly at 1600x1200, like it always has done. I'm a bit clueless why "1600x1200" is not available for me in Linux at the moment.

    Anybody know what I should be editing/installing to make this work properly?

    If it's any help, I'm using an LG F900P monitor. I think this is more of a software thing though, right?

    Any help appreciated
    Go into the config file again and make sure that you have the proper refresh rates set in the section that should look similar to this.

    Code:
    # KDS Visual Sensations VS 190i
    Section "Monitor"
            #DisplaySize    350     265     # mm
            Identifier      "Monitor0"
            Option  "DPMS"  "true"
            VendorName      "KDS"
            ModelName       "KDS1985"
            HorizSync 30 - 95 # DDC-probed
            VertRefresh 50 - 160 # DDC-probed
    
    EndSection
    You should be using according to this page 30 -107 for the horizontal and 50-160 for the vertical. You may want to take a look into the /var/log/Xfree86.0.log file and see what the driver you are using for the video card will support under linux and it usually has the information probed from the monitor included as well.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    27
    Thanks for replying. I've spent quite a lot of time fiddling around with all sorts of settings this afternoon, but I haven't really got anywhere. Actually at one point I made a bit of a mess of things, and spent ages trying to even make X start properly again :P

    I found this line in my XFree86.0.log:

    (II) VESA(0): Not using mode "1600x1200" (no mode of this name)

    Is this a limitation of the drivers then, that 1280x1024 is the highest resolution I can use?

    When I was messing with kxconfig I tried using various drivers but the only ones that seem to work are vesa. I have a Radeon 9600XT, just to let you know.

Similar Threads

  1. monitor
    By alghieri in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 04:09 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 01:23 AM
  3. 1440x900 pixels monitor resolution on laptop
    By abouzeis in forum Laptops
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 04:45 PM
  4. Problemas al Instalar monitor , Installing Monitor
    By comanam in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 07:37 PM
  5. monitor resolution?
    By new dumbie in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 12:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



Ubuntu 26.04 Linux Desktop PC, Quadcore i7, up to 32GB RAM + 2TB SSD, Dell 7040 picture

Ubuntu 26.04 Linux Desktop PC, Quadcore i7, up to 32GB RAM + 2TB SSD, Dell 7040

$399.99



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Brand New Genuine Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (Advanced Server) Version 3 picture

Brand New Genuine Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (Advanced Server) Version 3

$39.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99