-
Junior Member
registered user
Kernel compile 2.6.6 - only once?
I have a strange issue - I installed the most recent knoppix today, choosing the knoppix-install-from-web-newest script (or something similar). I chose the Debian way. Knoppix was booted in knoppix26 mode.
It booted fine, but this is a Toshiba Laptop and it seems that kernel support for the fan utilityis missing in the kernel 
I did apt-get update;apt-get install kernel-2.6.6
I then went through the process of compiling the kernel, it worked fine, i started from scratch, not using the config file for 2.6.6 in /boot. It wouldn't boot my kernel, the screen went black when it tried. So I rebooted into default 2.6.6 and tried again, but got this error during make xconfig:
make xconfig
CLEAN .config
HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:35,
from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:24,
from scripts/basic/fixdep.c:107:
/usr/include/bits/socket.h:305:24: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [scripts/basic/fixdep] Error 1
make: *** [scripts_basic] Error 2
make menuconfig does the same. I finally ended up reinstalling knoppix from the cd and trying again, but I am not able to get past this point - I must be losing my mind? 
Even from a completely fresh start, I cannot get the kernel to compile - any ideas? Google gave a few suggestions, I updated binutils and some other packages - same deal.
I can't fathom why it would work once, but not again? Is the install script forgiving of errors? Maybe something didn't install right?
Similar Threads
-
By cfish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-25-2005, 07:31 AM
-
By davidwahlstedt in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-17-2005, 05:42 PM
-
By msnxsw in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-27-2003, 07:12 AM
-
By Nigel_Tufnel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-20-2003, 01:09 PM
-
By nhoxanh in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-28-2003, 04:23 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box
$299.00

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00

AMD RYZEN 7 9800X3D 8-Core, 16-Thread Desktop Processor
$399.00

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$365.00