Quote Originally Posted by davros4269
Markus: Thanks again - still no luck. testcd passed ok. Completely clueless at this point.

mzilikazi: Maybe it was never meant for this, but it works great in every other respect in my experience, and of course, there are 2 install scripts included on the disk I'm writing this on another machine with a 3.2 install.
I too have installed Knoppix and it worked fine but that is not the point here. The point is that you and alot of other people cannot do something as simple as build a new kernel. That's more than enough of a problem for me to know that Knoppix was not meant to be installed. The fact that there are install scripts means nothing.

I've never had any issue compiling it before. According to the how-to's out there, it has everything that's required for the compile, version-wise as well. I've never used "dist-upgrade", never had a reason; I always upgrade app-by-app.
Well a Debian install has no problems w/ dist-upgrade and yes that does include Kanotix. Why not just give it a try and you'll see what I mean.