Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Graphics all wrong

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4

    Graphics all wrong

    I'm new to this board and to Knoppix. I don't know if this is a known bug or if the issue is with my computer.

    Once I get into the OS (after all the booting), all the graphics seem wrong, as if the colors were reversed. I can't seem to see all of the desk top. I can barely read the few things I can see.

    Is it a problem because my graphic card is "new"?

    Intel P4 2.6 ghz with hyper threading
    1 gig of 400 mhz DDR
    MSI GFX 5950 256 megs
    Sound Blaster Live! Basic

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4
    Can I get some help please?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    I don't really know much about video but ....
    When knoppix is starting up, one of the messages scrolling by is 'Video card detected....' etc.
    Is it detecting the proper video card ? And using the proper driver?
    Look in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, about 3/4 of the way through the file is a section on what video driver it is using. Does it look correct?
    If you suspect this is the problem, you CAN change this by editing the file, perhaps to try the using the VESA driver which is a sort of failsafe fallback driver. If you change this file, you will have to logout/login to have the changes take effect, just choose 'end session only' on logout & it will log right back in.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4
    First of all, I can't log out and relog in as I can't see all of the desktop and everything is messed up.

    I'll boot it up again and look for what video card it detects and see what driver it uses. Thanks.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4
    I was able to boot and see everything after I used the knoppix noagp command.
    My video card was detected as : nVidia Coporation unknown device 10de:0333

    I suppose that my video card is too recent to be properly detected. Thanks people.

    Now is there a way to use a USB flashdrive (memory stick, whatever people call it) to be the home directory so as to keep all my config?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    I think you can 'make persistent home' on a flash drive. There is a wizard, look under the 'Knoppix' menu item.

Similar Threads

  1. No graphics when booting (like dos)
    By mom2tatjana in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 07:15 AM
  2. Graphics card maybe?
    By slice16 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-22-2005, 02:17 AM
  3. Problem with graphics
    By rookworm in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 05:16 AM
  4. graphics error?
    By nViATi in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 05:44 AM
  5. music without graphics?
    By andrei in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2003, 10:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 32GB RAM No Drives/OS Server

$292.50



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00