-
Junior Member
registered user
Why have I got 3 screens now, I only need one !
I’ve recently installed Knoppix 3.1 from CD to HD with knx-hdinstall.
When I boot from the floppy it displays the $prompt, then loads devices and after a short while presents a Linux/Debian login box.
I login either to Root or Knoppix and when the screen appears it is split into 2-3 ghosted desktops. I’ve tried using the various cheatcodes at the boot prompt but no joy.
Also I cannot access ‘Display’ at the prompt, I get Error: Kunique Application: can’t determine display, aborting.
My card is an ATI Rage 128 Pro.
I’m a relative newbie to Linux so could someone please give me couple of pointers.
I’m confused about LILO, how can I get it to boot Knoppix/Debian from HD without the need for the floppy at startup ?
I’ve spent nearly 5 days on this and feel that I am so near to getting it up and running but have maybe overlooked some crucial step, can anyone spot it ?
My system is AMD Duron 1300, Via 266B mb, 256ram, 2 HD’s, 1 is XP Pro, the other Linux ext2 + swap file partitions.
Any help greatly appreciated, I can’t wait to chuck XP in the bin and use Linux 100%.
I’ve also tried editing xf86config but as screen is so badly ghosted it is near on impossible to interact with this utility !!
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Why have I got 3 screens now, I only need one !

Originally Posted by
Alex1
I’m confused about LILO, how can I get it to boot Knoppix/Debian from HD without the need for the floppy at startup ?
Alex1,
I cannot answer all your questions but I can give you my newbie opinion on Lilo. During the last leg of installation you should have been asked whether you wanted to install lilo (assuming you are dual booting). Selecting yes would have installed Lilo to you MBR thus prompting you to select the OS whenever you boot. If you are not dual booting, then when you created your partition using the cd, you should have set your primary partition to boot. Hope this helps
The 3 screens sounds like some funky compatibility problem.
-
Senior Member
registered user
If you give your monitor model and the full spec of your card, some kind soul may be able to post you a suitable XF86config file.
As to Lilo and XP, I think you need to get the XP bootloader to call Lilo to boot in Knoppix/Debian. There are HOWTOs on doing this: try a google for
XP linux HOWTO
or somesuch
Similar Threads
-
By sonicspeedway in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-14-2004, 02:27 AM
-
By colonius in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-04-2004, 10:14 PM
-
By gyro in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-11-2004, 08:26 PM
-
By rununix in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-16-2003, 03:49 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k
$300.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99

Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110
$129.99

Two Macintosh Platinum Mouse/Mice - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus M0100 - NEW
$99.99

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K Original Model M0001 With Keyboard and Mouse
$1799.99

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs
$14.99