Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Why have I got 3 screens now, I only need one !

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    16

    Why have I got 3 screens now, I only need one !

    I’ve recently installed Knoppix 3.1 from CD to HD with knx-hdinstall.
    When I boot from the floppy it displays the $prompt, then loads devices and after a short while presents a Linux/Debian login box.
    I login either to Root or Knoppix and when the screen appears it is split into 2-3 ghosted desktops. I’ve tried using the various cheatcodes at the boot prompt but no joy.
    Also I cannot access ‘Display’ at the prompt, I get Error: Kunique Application: can’t determine display, aborting.
    My card is an ATI Rage 128 Pro.
    I’m a relative newbie to Linux so could someone please give me couple of pointers.
    I’m confused about LILO, how can I get it to boot Knoppix/Debian from HD without the need for the floppy at startup ?
    I’ve spent nearly 5 days on this and feel that I am so near to getting it up and running but have maybe overlooked some crucial step, can anyone spot it ?
    My system is AMD Duron 1300, Via 266B mb, 256ram, 2 HD’s, 1 is XP Pro, the other Linux ext2 + swap file partitions.
    Any help greatly appreciated, I can’t wait to chuck XP in the bin and use Linux 100%.
    I’ve also tried editing xf86config but as screen is so badly ghosted it is near on impossible to interact with this utility !!

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15

    Re: Why have I got 3 screens now, I only need one !

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1
    I’m confused about LILO, how can I get it to boot Knoppix/Debian from HD without the need for the floppy at startup ?

    Alex1,

    I cannot answer all your questions but I can give you my newbie opinion on Lilo. During the last leg of installation you should have been asked whether you wanted to install lilo (assuming you are dual booting). Selecting yes would have installed Lilo to you MBR thus prompting you to select the OS whenever you boot. If you are not dual booting, then when you created your partition using the cd, you should have set your primary partition to boot. Hope this helps


    The 3 screens sounds like some funky compatibility problem.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    If you give your monitor model and the full spec of your card, some kind soul may be able to post you a suitable XF86config file.

    As to Lilo and XP, I think you need to get the XP bootloader to call Lilo to boot in Knoppix/Debian. There are HOWTOs on doing this: try a google for

    XP linux HOWTO

    or somesuch

Similar Threads

  1. Makign Splash Screens
    By sonicspeedway in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 02:27 AM
  2. No screens found
    By colonius in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 10:14 PM
  3. dual screens
    By gyro in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 08:26 PM
  4. Black screens on logout from KDE or console switch
    By rununix in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-16-2003, 03:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB BATTERY ISSUE

$474.99



NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e 4GB ATI X300 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games picture

NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e 4GB ATI X300 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games

$349.00



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Apple Macbook Pro 14

Apple Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$614.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



Pair ID-COOLING A8-SP3 CPU Heatsink Coolers and AMD EPYC 7601 32 Core Processors picture

Pair ID-COOLING A8-SP3 CPU Heatsink Coolers and AMD EPYC 7601 32 Core Processors

$290.00