You may not change a file, if the whole filesystem is in READ-ONLY-mode.
As root:
remount -rw /dev/hda1
I use knoppix within my windows 2000 network to help recover any files off of PC's in which are un bootable. I had a laptop brought to me in which a certain file is shown within knoppix as locked (has the little lock icon on the file). Now I have tried changing the file's permissions in both the gui and with in the terminal. Here are the results.
When I check the properties of the file none of the permission are checked and it states that knoppix is both the user and group owner. But when I try to change the permissions it reads
Now when trying through the console using the chmod command it reads"Could not change permissions for /mnt/hda1/<file name>"So can you please tell me how to force a change of permissions on any file?"changing permissions of '<file name>': Read-only file system"
Thanks in advance.
You may not change a file, if the whole filesystem is in READ-ONLY-mode.
As root:
remount -rw /dev/hda1

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
TerraMaster F2-210 2-Bay NAS Server Cloud Storage
$199.95
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99