-
Puzzling hard drive behavior
Hello everyone-
I am running a dual boot Win98/Knoppix machine, using Knoppix 99% of the time. I have a cable broadband connection to the Internet via a Linksys router doing DHCP connections to 4 machines in my home. My Knoppix partition is formatted as Ext3. My hard drive is doing something funky, and I would like to know if anyone can explain it. Every morning at exactly 7:46AM, the drive light gets very active and I can hear the drive thrashing for about 3 to 4 minutes, even when I am not running any programs. Could this be some automatic thing Knoppix or Ext3 does to defrag the disk (I've looked for settings but can't find any), or is there something more troublesome going on through my cable connection? I don't know much about spyware, etc. on Linux/Knoppix. Is there some way I can monitor outgoing traffic during this period?
Thanks in advance for any help anyone has - take care.
Lars
-
Senior Member
registered user
First, check /etc/crontab and see if it's set to run the scripts in /etc/cron.daily at or around that time. (Type "man 5 crontab" for an explanation of the fields.)
-
Senior Member
registered user
Good advice Eco2Geek,
If something is running, and you know you didn't start something, it "usually" is something that is "task scheduled" - If you have a windows install, and something "starts" - especially at a specific time - it probably is running in "Task Scheduler", as far as I know, in Knoppix, or even Unix for that matter, Cron has to be the culprit...
BTW -=- Thanks Eco2Geek for reminding me, get my cron running. Now that v3.4 is up and happy, time to get all those "auto-housekeeping" programs running 
Ms. Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By inspired1 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 10
Last Post: 08-26-2005, 07:42 AM
-
By Ezor in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-14-2004, 01:59 AM
-
By Bodhi in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-11-2004, 02:19 AM
-
By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 19
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
-
By Weevil in forum Networking
Replies: 10
Last Post: 07-24-2004, 06:54 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD
$477.00

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF 1x E3-1220v5 16GB DDR4 9361-8i 3x 4TB SAS 1x 1TB HDD
$603.00

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 16GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 2TB SATA HDD
$525.00

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 32GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD
$538.99

Supermicro CSE-815-5 4B LFF Xeon E3-1220v5 64GB DDR4 1x 9361-8i 4x 1TB SATA HDD
$654.99

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC
$250.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99